Who would have thought...

8 replies to this topic
  • theclone

Posted April 24, 2007 - 03:26 PM

that something so simple could cause me so much greif?

I am talking about my chain slider. a couple weeks ago I went riding and for some reason the slider started to bow to the side, allowing the chain to rub on the swingarm and tear the chain slider to hell. so I bought a new one. everything was fine for the first couple of rides. then on saturday its starting to do the same thing! :excuseme:

what the hell?! its not like this is a complicated piece of equipment. its a damn piece of plastic held on with a couple screws. the only thing I can think of is possibly my wheel is misaligned... but I checked and everthing seems fine.:applause:

• PATHPOUNDER

Posted April 24, 2007 - 03:36 PM

that something so simple could cause me so much greif?

I am talking about my chain slider. a couple weeks ago I went riding and for some reason the slider started to bow to the side, allowing the chain to rub on the swingarm and tear the chain slider to hell. so I bought a new one. everything was fine for the first couple of rides. then on saturday its starting to do the same thing! :excuseme:

what the hell?! its not like this is a complicated piece of equipment. its a damn piece of plastic held on with a couple screws. the only thing I can think of is possibly my wheel is misaligned... but I checked and everthing seems fine.:applause:

Do search on gray racers chain slider mod. I did it to my 01 426..slider stays put and if it wears thru I have a buffer of metal before it hits the swingarm..

• grayracer513

Posted April 24, 2007 - 04:34 PM

That's in the Common Threads sticky. It may help, but I'm not sure that's your whole problem.

• theclone

Posted April 24, 2007 - 06:18 PM

That's in the Common Threads sticky. It may help, but I'm not sure that's your whole problem.

Yeah... while I appreciate the help, I dont really think that will solve my problem.

The chain isn't rubbing on the swingarm because of a worn slider, its because the slider keeps curving out to the side.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • micah600

Posted April 24, 2007 - 07:13 PM

I just fixed mine. Sand got under it, and wore off a goodly amount of the swingarm. I fixed mine by doing two things: First I put those funny little washers in the vise, and effectively "preloaded" them by making them flatter. Then, I took out the trusty black silicone, and glued the little bastard on. That does two things. It glues it on, of course, and it keeps future sand out. Although I haven't actually tied it yet, it seemed pretty clever to me.

• theclone

Posted April 24, 2007 - 07:19 PM

I just fixed mine. Sand got under it, and wore off a goodly amount of the swingarm. I fixed mine by doing two things: First I put those funny little washers in the vise, and effectively "preloaded" them by making them flatter. Then, I took out the trusty black silicone, and glued the little bastard on. That does two things. It glues it on, of course, and it keeps future sand out. Although I haven't actually tied it yet, it seemed pretty clever to me.

haha, I just had the same idea about gluing it on. let me know how that works out.

I'm not too sure what you mean by "flattening" the washers though...:applause:

• micah600

Posted April 24, 2007 - 07:28 PM

They have and outside flat, then a valley, then another flat for the screw. The two flats are on different plains. When you squish them, you make the plains closer. The washer sucks down the slider when you torque the bolts.

• SXP

Posted April 25, 2007 - 07:51 AM

I'm not too sure what you mean by "flattening" the washers though...:applause:

Think an upside down hat. By flattening it, you bring the rim of the hat closer to the crown of the hat. The rim of the hat is what clamps down on the rubber of the slider when you tighten the screw.

• micah600

Posted May 17, 2007 - 07:06 PM

Yeah, it works perfect.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.