Piston/Valves Xr650r. Photo's

7 replies to this topic
  • slowxr

Posted April 24, 2007 - 10:17 AM

Just had my top end done at Precision Concepts. My bike ran and started great. My only complaint was that the intake valves were tightening on a regular intreval.
This is at 13K miles.
Piston.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Exhaust valves
Posted Image
Posted Image

Intake valves
Posted Image
Posted Image

This cost about $950.

• 1stgear

Posted April 24, 2007 - 10:42 AM

Thanks for posting the photos, doesn't look too bad considering the mileage. I'm thinking about getting mine done for the same reason and I want to find a good shop I can trust with my old girl.

• Kawabuggy

Posted April 24, 2007 - 11:07 AM

It's obvious from the back side picture of the intake valves that one valve guide seal was leaking allowing oil into the chamber. That is the sludge/crud on the back of the valve. When oil get's in, it can easily cause detonation through the forming of ash/carbon deposits. It also looks like you were running a high compression piston.

If I were a betting man, I would be pointing the stink finger at a bad valve guide, worn valve stem, bad valve guide seal, or a combination of those elements.

• drtlvr

Posted April 24, 2007 - 12:38 PM

wow,thats alot of money.did you dismantle and assemble it yourself?
I just did my xr650L and the new honda piston,honda gasket set,honda valve seals only cost $250.00 and the bore job and valve job was $125.00 maybe living in WI does have its advantages( we get shafted on the short riding season)lol.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • slowxr

Posted April 24, 2007 - 12:47 PM

That seemed to be the going rate around here. I dropped the whole bike off and they did all the labor.

The service guy who worked on it said it all looked normal. He said it didn't need a piston but since I already paid for the labor, I had them put one in.

It's interesting, I rode the bike yesterday and it didn't feel any better/stronger. It did seem to rev a little slower.

• slowxr

Posted April 24, 2007 - 12:49 PM

Also, they claim the UNI Air Filter is the reason for the worn intake valves. They seem to think the stock filter is the way to go.

• Kawabuggy

Posted April 24, 2007 - 02:21 PM

???? Worn intake valves????? How were they worn? The only damage I can think of that MIGHT be caused by lack of filtration might be damage to the head where the valve seats against it, and on the edge of the valve where it seats against the head if dirt were to be trapped between the two when the valve closes (not probable). Other than that, not much of a chance that your air filter caused the valves any damage.

Cylinder scoring, excessively worn rings, and piston skirt scoring is often a sign of dirt getting into the cylinder (past the air filter).

• HawkGT

Posted April 24, 2007 - 02:47 PM

???? Worn intake valves????? How were they worn? The only damage I can think of that MIGHT be caused by lack of filtration might be damage to the head where the valve seats against it, and on the edge of the valve where it seats against the head if dirt were to be trapped between the two when the valve closes (not probable). Other than that, not much of a chance that your air filter caused the valves any damage.

Cylinder scoring, excessively worn rings, and piston skirt scoring is often a sign of dirt getting into the cylinder (past the air filter).

Imperfect filtration is a significant killer of intake valves on these and similar engines, in my experience. The best intake filtration you can manage is the best thing you can do for the lifespan of an intake valve (aside from regular checks/ajustments).

And yes, it is tiny specs of dirt that get imbedded into the valve sealing surface that causes the harm.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  132 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.