Count Me In!!! New 2007 XR650L Owner

10 replies to this topic
  • McQueen278

Posted April 24, 2007 - 08:44 AM

I purchased a new 07 XR650L about three weeks ago and have about 400 miles. I'm very satisfied with the bike both on and off road, it's just fun to drive.

I enjoy the doing the mods, and have been at work on the bike already. To date, I have replaced the handle bars with Pro-Taper ATV High, performed Dave's carb adjustments with jetting 55/158, removed the snorkle, and removed the smog stuff.

Removing the smog stuff took away the backfiring, and taking off the bike really cleans things up. This combined with removing the snorkle and the carb mods really improves the performance with smoother throttle response.

Question for you guys, what is the best air filter to replace the stock? I'm using the bike for both on and offroad, but I don't normally ride in a ton of dust although its possible.

• TDC71

Posted April 24, 2007 - 09:05 AM

I prefer the UNI over the K&N. Heard lots of guys here complain about fine dirt getting past the K&N.

Todd

• pianoexcellence

Posted April 24, 2007 - 12:48 PM

enjoy your bike:ride:

• Bibleman

Posted April 24, 2007 - 04:20 PM

I just got one too and am doing similar mods. My family thinks I'm nut because I have a bike with four miles on it sitting on a lift a all taken apart:thumbsup: I ordered th Uni, but I just read on another thread here that someone suspected some intake valve wear due to this filter. Who knows?:applause:

• pgiinc

Posted April 24, 2007 - 07:18 PM

do daves MOD to the carb best thing you can do

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • goblin127

Posted April 24, 2007 - 07:52 PM

Welcome to the club. The 12 step program is lurking in your future.

• 07XR650L

Posted April 25, 2007 - 03:45 AM

I put the UNI filter on mine. I just keep it oiled really well. It seems to do fine, and is easy to clean. If I had to do it again, I would look closer at the NoToil filters they seem like good filters.

• ssian

Posted April 25, 2007 - 04:08 AM

I just did the Pro taper atv bars on my 03 650 also, did you drill little holes in the bars for the indicator and stop switch holder?

• McQueen278

Posted April 25, 2007 - 05:20 AM

I didn't drill holes, I just filed the little plastic pin off of the indicator and stop switch. They clamp on tight enough it's not needed, plus I'm not sure it's a good thing to drill holes in the ALU bars. Might cause a failure point in the future.

• squatpuke

Posted April 27, 2007 - 03:56 PM

UNI with no-toil oil/cleaner

• XR650L_Dave

Posted April 30, 2007 - 08:09 AM

I didn't drill holes, I just filed the little plastic pin off of the indicator and stop switch. They clamp on tight enough it's not needed, plus I'm not sure it's a good thing to drill holes in the ALU bars. Might cause a failure point in the future.

Also, this allows them to rotate on impact, instead of breaking. That's always good.

Dave

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.