how do you like your 400s..?

20 replies to this topic
  • perfectlytuned

Posted April 23, 2007 - 05:41 PM

Im thinkin about movin to a 98' yz400 that i can get from a friend in great condition for cheap. throw any opinions on the bike and any pics of some if u have them..

thanks

• Smokeslider

Posted April 23, 2007 - 05:55 PM

Sometimes "great condition" turns into a nightmare. As it is with any bike that old, ask him how long it's been since he has put in new valves....if he can't tell you it's probably time to replace them. That's what I had to do with mine. Otherwise, bike is pretty good, just figure out the starting routine and don't dare ride somebody's 06' or you'll end up buying one of those.

• Markopolo400

Posted April 23, 2007 - 06:18 PM

My '99 is way to heavy for me, and I am completely rebuilding the engine right now in my garage.

Other than that it's been a great bike.

• perfectlytuned

Posted April 23, 2007 - 07:45 PM

My '99 is way to heavy for me, and I am completely rebuilding the engine right now in my garage.

Other than that it's been a great bike.

if u dont mind, how much is that costing u? My uncle is really fond of it and hes been riding for longer than i can count and he is also a mechanic but i dont no if he has looked into the engine at all. Could u compare it with lets say an xr400? or is it more advanced in any department?

• crashhard_17

Posted April 23, 2007 - 08:08 PM

i have a '99 and i love it. i moved up from a xr 250 and there is a night and day difference, but i tried kicking it for 45 minutes today and it hasnt started. i even tried bump starting it. it ran yesterday so i think it might be flooded. anyways i love it.

• yz454

Posted April 23, 2007 - 08:17 PM

You do not need to replace the valves in a 400 ,they are steel not ti.

• C333

Posted April 23, 2007 - 08:17 PM

Once you get the starting routine down it's all good. I have a '99. Checked the valves twice this year. Rock solid. It's heavy as hell but then again I'm 6'5" 250. Like Chad said, just know how well it's been maintained thusfar. If it's been well cared for you've got no worries.

• C333

Posted April 23, 2007 - 08:27 PM

i have a '99 and i love it. i moved up from a xr 250 and there is a night and day difference, but i tried kicking it for 45 minutes today and it hasnt started. i even tried bump starting it. it ran yesterday so i think it might be flooded. anyways i love it.

You know the routine right??? Pull decomp, kick 5 times, release decomp, kick slow until refusal, pull decomp and continue kick for approx 15 degrees (or 'bout 2-3 inches) release decomp and bring kick back to top, then kick as hard as hell. Sometimes when I get a hard start, I'll pull the decomp and kick 10 or 15 times before I continue with the routine as usual. This seems to help.

• jayh300

Posted April 24, 2007 - 06:02 AM

i have a 99 and once i learned to start it...... it is a good bike.
did the auto de-comp cam mod to it a couple of weekends ago and have not had a chance to ride it yet. it is a little heavy, but not too bad.

• bfox55

Posted April 24, 2007 - 09:39 AM

Sometimes "great condition" turns into a nightmare. As it is with any bike that old, ask him how long it's been since he has put in new valves....if he can't tell you it's probably time to replace them. That's what I had to do with mine. Otherwise, bike is pretty good, just figure out the starting routine and don't dare ride somebody's 06' or you'll end up buying one of those.

I couldn't agree more. I love my 99 400, but i switched with my buddy last weekend to try his 06 450 and it just made me jealous.

Anyway, its a great way to get a reliable thumper for pretty cheap. With regular maintenance, should last a long time. Oil changes and check valve clearance...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tammie

Posted April 24, 2007 - 10:59 AM

love mine too, then again havn't ridden any new ones so i don't know hat im missing afraid too since i can't afford one right now...

never changed my valves they are fine, check clearences on schedule.

• Markopolo400

Posted April 24, 2007 - 01:05 PM

if u dont mind, how much is that costing u? My uncle is really fond of it and hes been riding for longer than i can count and he is also a mechanic but i dont no if he has looked into the engine at all. Could u compare it with lets say an xr400? or is it more advanced in any department?

All said and done it was about $400 for parts.

-Piston
-Rings
-Valves
-Valve springs
-Spring seats
-Valve seals
-Retainers
-Keepers
-Buckets
-Cam chain
-Tensioner gasket
-Head gasket
-Base gasket
-Igniton gasket
-Countershaft seal

And honestly I don't know exactly how it would compare to an xr400 engine (I have never been inside one), but I do know that the overall design of the yz400fs engine is not that much different from a newer 450s. But if I had to guess, I'd say that the yz400f is much more technologically advanced than the xr400, after all the yz400f is a race bike and the xr is not.

• ONLY4STROKES

Posted April 24, 2007 - 01:16 PM

It's a lot heavier than the new 450's, even heavier than the 426 by a few pounds.

You can feel the weight but the handling is still pretty good. Overall though it's an excellent bike...nothing beats the tractor-like powerband of a 400/426. Ride one and I guarantee you'll want to buy it if it's running right.

• crashhard_17

Posted April 24, 2007 - 02:14 PM

You know the routine right??? Pull decomp, kick 5 times, release decomp, kick slow until refusal, pull decomp and continue kick for approx 15 degrees (or 'bout 2-3 inches) release decomp and bring kick back to top, then kick as hard as hell. Sometimes when I get a hard start, I'll pull the decomp and kick 10 or 15 times before I continue with the routine as usual. This seems to help.

yeah i know the routine. usually my bike starts within a minute or two of kicking.

• theclone

Posted April 24, 2007 - 04:00 PM

They're good solid bikes with really good power.

I want something new, so that's why I'm selling mine.

• perfectlytuned

Posted April 24, 2007 - 06:24 PM

They're good solid bikes with really good power.

I want something new, so that's why I'm selling mine.

where are u located in california? and how much u selling it for? im trying to get a hold of one. lemme no

• theclone

Posted April 24, 2007 - 07:03 PM

where are u located in california? and how much u selling it for? im trying to get a hold of one. lemme no

pm sent

• PatrickM

Posted April 25, 2007 - 12:43 AM

I just bought myself a 99 YZ400 and I love it

It has its issues but the motor was rebuilt before i got it...The engine is just starting to break in

if you are going to buy one make sure to check the cooling system. My 400 started leaking radiator fluid from the side of the water pump. its a $20 fix but it takes a bit of time to take apart the water pump to replace all of the seals

other than the minor repairs, I love my bike!!! its a bit heavy but i am 6' 2" and about 260, so its perfect for me.

Patrick M.

• CyberNights

Posted April 25, 2007 - 01:51 AM

Hi,
I have a 99 YZ400F too, I had a xt600e before, and a tuareg wind 600, so I don't think the bike as heavy as that, but I know it is heavier than the newer 450's...
My engine as just been rebuilt, I'm about to start the break in about 2 days or something...
I also replaced every piece that shown some consuming...

Take care

• lOOkatme

Posted June 02, 2007 - 08:32 AM

I like my 99 YZ400F....I have tracked the bike a few times....I am not that great of a rider...and I perfer riding the bike more than fixing it. My bike starts right up....drives great...LOVE the engine....but the bike is heavy. I came from riding a CR125.....and I feel the YZ is much more difficult to turn...I am reading up on how to bring the front wheel closer to the bike....it seems too far away for me. I wish I could have the 400F engine reliability and power in my CR125 frame.....and have it be the same weight as my 125. I could jump my 125 like no other.....and really launch over large table tops and doubles....I am much less confident on the 400F.....and I can't jump it like my CR....partly because I haven't ridden the 400F much....still getting used to it.

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.