What am I doing with my Oil?

8 replies to this topic
  • flipt86

Posted April 23, 2007 - 01:44 PM

Hey all, got a weird one for you ( in my opinion )
Ok, i change my oil on my 06 wr450, oil and filter, 1.15 quarts, check the level after letting idle for a few minutes, everything looks in order, level is right at the top of the dipstick. about 100 miles later, (streettard) i go to check my level and the oil will not stop coming out of the dipstick hole when i go to check it. First reaction is it's overfilled, change it again, and i go to check it today, (78 miles later) and it does it again. So i need to know why is my oil overflowing out my frame when i don't seem to be overfilling the bike? Is it my crankcase vent? i have no clue, need some advise from you other motoheads.

P.S. just changed it again, no filter this time and only put in a quart, now it reads half way up the dipstick, im gonna ride it a while tonight and see what happens when i check it tomorrow. Give me your opinions. :applause:

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted April 23, 2007 - 02:03 PM

are you checking your oil right after you turn the bike off. im pretty sure you are suppose to wait a couple mins after its warm then check :applause:

• dominator426

Posted April 23, 2007 - 03:36 PM

P.S. just changed it again, no filter this time and only put in a quart, now it reads half way up the dipstick

You're running it with no filter??! Never check it with the engine hot. It should be just on the tip of the dip-stick, engine cold, and be at the full mark with engine barely luke-warm after running it for 2 minutes or so.

• gspy4u

Posted April 23, 2007 - 04:11 PM

Should only need about 1 ltr if no oil filter change. Otherwise it's overfull. If it keeps overflowing when you check it just drop the plug and let a little out.

Run engine for a few minutes. Then turn it off, then check level. Should be at top of mark.

Easiest way is just measure what you take out and then put that much back in. I've never been able to get more than 1 ltr without a filter change in mine.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • flipt86

Posted April 23, 2007 - 04:35 PM

yes i am running it with a filter, i just didnt change it this time...and i'm not checking it when it is hot, im just doing what the manual says. thanks for the reply's so far, but i don't understand how it can read at the correct level one day and then a week later it overflow...

• ez__rider

Posted April 24, 2007 - 06:46 AM

i go to check my level and the oil will not stop coming out of the dipstick hole when i go to check it. ...So i need to know why is my oil overflowing out my frame

I've noticed the exact same thing on my '03 that I recently bought. I just did the oil change Sunday, with a filter cleaning. I put in a quart, then started it for about a minute and parked it. I haven't checked level since then. expect it to be a bit shy, but because of the overflowing from the frame, I figured I'd wait and see. :applause:

• WGP

Posted April 24, 2007 - 09:04 AM

Are you pulling the:

1) Frame Drain Bolt

2) Crankcase Drain Bolt

3) Small Crankcase Drain Bolt

had to ask....

• Bikermice

Posted April 24, 2007 - 10:17 AM

My 426 has a stainer in the oil feed line that goes to the crankcase from the frame resivor. I guess the WR's have this also. If so, stands to reason that it could be partially resticted causing the return oil from the crankcase to build up in the frame resivor and cause your problem. This condition could cause oil starvation to the eng......Let us know what you figured out.

• flipt86

Posted April 24, 2007 - 02:40 PM

yea, im pulling all three bolts, checked the strainer also my first oil change and this is now my fourth, don't see it being clogged...i'm fixing to go and check my oil now, we will see what happens.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.