Best boots for bad ankle?

14 replies to this topic
  • adamsrk

Posted April 23, 2007 - 12:06 PM

Ok, I have read all the reviews etc.. Please offer real experience not just "oh I have Sidi crossfire and they are the bomb". I have a bad left ankle that I sprain atleast 2-3 times per year. I had a pretty good get off and sprained it again on Sat. I don't care about price. I have heard everything from Tech 4 from Dwight Rudder to Tech 10 McGrath. I am considering SG10 or Tech 8/10s. I don't care if I lose some mobility and feel of controls. I am slow anyway. I just need the most ankle protection. Thanks, Ray

• jgbnm

Posted April 23, 2007 - 01:22 PM

This might not be too helpful but I used to have really bad ankles as well. I use the SG10's but I would think you need to try on a bunch of boots and pick the ones with the best ankle support that are reasonably comfortable or you think will become reasonably comfortable. Should be able to get a decent idea by flexing the boot in your hands.

My main comment is that my ankles haven't given me a problem in quite some time. There are quite a few exercises out there to strengthen your ankles. Mostly involve balance exercises of one kind or another. It can take quite a while to get better but it worked for me.

• Croft315

Posted April 23, 2007 - 01:33 PM

nothing opens up as wide as the new scott genius boots if you have limited range of motion from a previous injury.

• adamsrk

Posted April 23, 2007 - 06:09 PM

Thank you both! I did just what you said. I tried on every brand and model and went with the SG10s. I do a lot of running tread mill and outside. I also lift weights atleast 3 times per week and I still twist my ankles.

• LukeW

Posted April 24, 2007 - 07:31 PM

about 9 months ago I had surgury for fractured ankle/heal 1plate 6 screws I have just got back too riding
I see you went for the sg10 boot. This boot seemed to have the most ankle support out of sidi/tech 10/oxtar/garnea. but was just too narrow for my wide foot, and the sole is no were near as stiff as the sidi SRS .
I purchased the sidi crossfire SRS version, yes this boot has more flex then the standard crossfire, but the sole is solid and will not flex. I can land from errosion mounds and not feel the peg or have any pain at all. (note I cant jump up and down on the spot with bare feet without pain) so the stiff sole is a huge bonus.

• El Marko

Posted April 25, 2007 - 07:48 AM

What I've always heard is that a sprain is permanent damage in a way, as the muscles or tendons never completely heal.

That said, I don't believe it as I went through a period of repeated ankle sprains from running, and focused on getting my ankles stronger. Long time since the last sprain.

Talk to a trainer or do some research on ankle-specific exercises to make them stronger. I no longer remember what routines I did back then, but they must have worked.

• jgbnm

Posted April 25, 2007 - 01:47 PM

Thank you both! I did just what you said. I tried on every brand and model and went with the SG10s. I do a lot of running tread mill and outside. I also lift weights atleast 3 times per week and I still twist my ankles.

I've been happy with my SG10's.

The weights and running don't do much to prevent your ankle from having weakness laterally. You need to find stability exercises. Many of these will be simple balance exercises that will help strengthen the muscles that stabilize your ankle (besides - more balance is always a good thing). A google search will give you ideas but a single visit to a good PT could show you what to do, how often and how to do it correctly. There are also good ankle braces out there and you can learn how to tape or wrap for extra support (won't help you get stronger though).

The key work on gaining stability while not rolling it over and losing your gains. It'll take time.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • adamsrk

Posted April 25, 2007 - 06:08 PM

Yes, I am going through PT and they gave me the stretches. Thanks

• GrovesyRMZ

Posted April 25, 2007 - 11:12 PM

Oxtar TCX pro have very good ankle support

• WoodDoc

Posted April 27, 2007 - 03:01 PM

I suffer frequent sprains with my left ankle as well. I recently purchased the SG-10s as they seem to be the only boot with substantial lateral stability. I also worked over the winter on strengthening exercises, which seemed to be working until I stopped about 6 weeks ago. Unfortunately I went over on my ankle (not riding) yesterday so the recovery starts again. Before I bought the SG-10s, which I think are excellent, I bought an ankle brace which simulates taping and can be worn in shoes or boots. It gives excellent support to help with recovery, even while riding. I haven't had to use it with the new boots though, but I keep it in my gear bag just in case. I worry that I have done too much damage over the years and will always have weak ankles.

• adamsrk

Posted April 27, 2007 - 04:37 PM

Yeah, I too am afraid the damage has been done but, I will continue to do the stability and stretching exercises. Never give up or in!

• garr87v

Posted April 28, 2007 - 12:31 PM

The worst thing about spraining your ankle over and over again is if you get a bone spur. I had ankle surgery feb 2 because of this. I also lost half of my cartlidge from the spur. They removed the bone spur and tightened up the tendons that caused me to roll my ankles. It's called cronic ankle instability. They make a good lace up brace you can wear in your boot. I have and don't even know it's there.

• 89sx

Posted April 30, 2007 - 03:02 PM

Wear a brace inside your boot! I'm no doctor, but having as many sprains as you are talking does not seem right. Probably just use a lace up one, I used one for a while after I popped something in my ankle, but went back to not wearing it.

Also, make sure you keep up with the stretches, my left ankle is not very stable if compared to my right, and I can really feel it in my achilles tendon when trying to balance.

• adamsrk

Posted May 02, 2007 - 11:32 AM

Yeah, I was prescribed an ASO lace up that I have now.

• IKE607

Posted May 03, 2007 - 04:44 PM

The worst thing about spraining your ankle over and over again is if you get a bone spur. I had ankle surgery feb 2 because of this. I also lost half of my cartlidge from the spur. They removed the bone spur and tightened up the tendons that caused me to roll my ankles. It's called cronic ankle instability. They make a good lace up brace you can wear in your boot. I have and don't even know it's there.

This sounds a lot like my situation, minus the surgery. Let's just say I injured my foot a few years back and had x-rays. While looking at my foot x-ray, the doctor asked if I had ever injured my left ankle. I asked why, and she said there was some pretty nasty looking stuff going on on there. Doesn't sound too bad???? That's my good ankle she was looking at!!! My right ankle is in way worse shape than my left. I found Tech 8's do right by me. I have used lace up braces, but I don't like to rely on them. I prefer strength training myself.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Mx training besides running by Ride_blue82

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   MX Riding Technique
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Stretch before or after excercise? by Bryan Bosch

General   General Forums   Health & Fitness
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

What to do as a workout for Harescramble racer? by Fade

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  63 replies
Forums
Photo

Things I learned in my first two hours on a dirt bike (Long) by Scootterass

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  40 replies
Forums
Photo

Slam Dunk by dturk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF250 L/M
  • Hot  41 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.