lower chain guide material

5 replies to this topic
  • bork

Posted April 22, 2007 - 05:15 PM

I just put on delrin. I was suprised to see the one that was on there, looked like something cheaper. anyone else try delrin? Or would nylon be better, Or OEM? (one of my bolts were sawed thru by chain, my bad)

• bork

Posted April 28, 2007 - 05:39 AM

I'm the only one who's done this?

• xrltim

Posted April 28, 2007 - 07:50 AM

I've been making my own chain guides for years. I went to a plastics shop that has all kinds of scraps available cheap. I talked to the guy there and told him what I needed and he suggested a chunk of material that he said would be harder than nylon, would have lower friction and higher melting point, but would still be soft enough to not crack. I bought it for 5 bucks and have made 3 or 4 blocks out of it for dirt bikes and Trials bikes that I've owned. Very durable and I still have at least half the block left. It very well might be Delrin. He said it was used mainly in AeroSpace manufacture on fixtures.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Mojave Monster

Posted April 29, 2007 - 06:24 AM

Google UHMW. Great stuff, you can buy it in 4 foot by 8 foot sheets if you really wanted to.

• drtlvr

Posted April 29, 2007 - 06:59 AM

great idea,I use delrin all the time at work,I'm a fabricator at a major luxury yacht manufacture. The stuff has super wear resistance and it is self lubricating,you can buy it at mcmaster carr,check out their web site they have every thing you will ever need.
can you post some pics?:applause: :excuseme: :p :p :p :cry: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

• motomonte

Posted May 01, 2007 - 11:56 AM

Go with the delrin (acetal)wich has the low friction of teflon and the wear of nylon.Actually I'm in the process of fabricating one out of aluminum and definitely will be using Delrin for the chain slide.I even added some delrin stripes on the side panels for protection against road rash (for the bike that is..)Good luck.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.