First Ride Report - Leatt Brace, Zip-Ty Carb Mod, DB-Dawg

6 replies to this topic
  • Yamahafan

Posted April 22, 2007 - 02:58 PM

Yesterday was my first ride of the year due to VERY crappy weather in Indiana.

Leatt Brace - I paid $395 plus shipping for the club model. The brace fit right under my Fox airframe chest protector and was so light and unobtrusive that I hardly knew it was on. I usually wear a donut which rubs against my neck. The Leatt brace allowed for much better air flow around my neck and shoulders. I can't imagine why you would need to pay more for the lighter models. It was so comfortable that I will never ride again without it. Now if I can just get this comfortable with my knee braces. Two of the quys riding with me tried mine on and will be ordering one of their own.

I hope the price will come down so every rider afford one. If not, the knock-offs will follow very quickly.

Zip-Ty Carb Mod - After a couple throttle twists to prime the carb the bike fired up on the second kick. The low-end throttle response was lightswitch quick, almost dare I say it, too responsive. I have a WB Aluminum Pro pipe and stock gearing 48/13. I had to be very careful to keep the front end down on acceleration. I installed a new Sunline throttle cable over the winter which had no slack. I had to be very careful on jump landings not to over-twist the throttle or I the bike would surge forward toward the verge of looping out. I put a little slack back into the throttle cable, which I had to do at the carb when I got home because the slack adjustment near the throttle was already at the max, and will try again. If the carb is still too responsive I will consider cutting the AP actuator arm wire (Redbeard mod) and replacing it with the thick O-ring supplied in the JD Needle Kit.

This is my fourth ride on the 450F. I love the power of the bigger bike, but the power seemed almost too abrupt with the Zip-Ty + Redbeard Mod anywhere in the low to middle throttle range. In any event this problem is a good problem to have and I would send my carb to Zip-Ty again in a heartbeat.

[78 degrees,dry,sunny, 800 ft elevation/168mj,47pj,JD blue #4, fs 2.5 turns]

DB-Dawg - I had great hopes for this insert, unfortunately the 8003 does not fit the WB Aluminum Pro very well. You have to leave the blue (38mm?) end tip in and twist the DB-Dawg 90 degrees to make it fit. The bike seemed to run OK and noise was greatly reduced, but the bike sputtered in the mid-throttle range where you tend to be when you hit a lot of jumps. Turning the insert sideways seemed to be more obstructive than having the insert fin be straight up and down. I think the insert would work better on pipes, like the stock pipe, that have a 3 inch straight run at the end instead of the short bend like the WB Aluminum Pro. (See attached picture of pipe before reinstalling blue end tip and turning the insert 90 degrees.) I am going to order the custom DB-Dawg insert for the Dr. D pipe on my 250F to see if it works any better. I would not hesitate to use the insert when trail riding, but it reduced my confidence riding MX on my first trip out so I took it out.

Attached Thumbnails

• DB Dawg3.jpg
  • DB Dawg4.jpg

• 642MX

Posted April 22, 2007 - 03:17 PM

^^ I had my first ride with the db Dawg today. I rode about 4 miles and stopped to remove it. Its quiet, but it kills the bottom end on my 426. I'll use it when I need to pass a db test, but other than that, it will remain on my shelf.

• Yamahafan

Posted April 22, 2007 - 05:33 PM

Were you trail riding? What muffler are you using?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 642MX

Posted April 22, 2007 - 06:09 PM

Were you trail riding? What muffler are you using?

Yeah, I was trail riding. I have a FMF Titanium 4 slip on with the powerbomb header. My jetting seemed good and I reset the fuel screw, but it still ran like the rear brake was dragging.

• WB450

Posted April 22, 2007 - 06:55 PM

Yesterday was my first ride of the year due to VERY crappy weather in Indiana.

Leatt Brace - I paid $395 plus shipping for the club model. The brace fit right under my Fox airframe chest protector and was so light and unobtrusive that I hardly knew it was on. I usually wear a donut which rubs against my neck. The Leatt brace allowed for much better air flow around my neck and shoulders. I can't imagine why you would need to pay more for the lighter models. It was so comfortable that I will never ride again without it. Now if I can just get this comfortable with my knee braces. Two of the quys riding with me tried mine on and will be ordering one of their own.

I hope the price will come down so every rider afford one. If not, the knock-offs will follow very quickly.

Zip-Ty Carb Mod - After a couple throttle twists to prime the carb the bike fired up on the second kick. The low-end throttle response was lightswitch quick, almost dare I say it, too responsive. I have a WB Aluminum Pro pipe and stock gearing 48/13. I had to be very careful to keep the front end down on acceleration. I installed a new Sunline throttle cable over the winter which had no slack. I had to be very careful on jump landings not to over-twist the throttle or I the bike would surge forward toward the verge of looping out. I put a little slack back into the throttle cable, which I had to do at the carb when I got home because the slack adjustment near the throttle was already at the max, and will try again. If the carb is still too responsive I will consider cutting the AP actuator arm wire (Redbeard mod) and replacing it with the thick O-ring supplied in the JD Needle Kit.
This is my fourth ride on the 450F. I love the power of the bigger bike, but the power seemed almost too abrupt with the Zip-Ty + Redbeard Mod anywhere in the low to middle throttle range. In any event this problem is a good problem to have and I would send my carb to Zip-Ty again in a heartbeat.

[78 degrees,dry,sunny, 800 ft elevation/168mj,47pj,JD blue #4, fs 2.5 turns]

DB-Dawg - I had great hopes for this insert, unfortunately the 8003 does not fit the WB Aluminum Pro very well. You have to leave the blue (38mm?) end tip in and twist the DB-Dawg 90 degrees to make it fit. The bike seemed to run OK and noise was greatly reduced, but the bike sputtered in the mid-throttle range where you tend to be when you hit a lot of jumps. Turning the insert sideways seemed to be more obstructive than having the insert fin be straight up and down. I think the insert would work better on pipes, like the stock pipe, that have a 3 inch straight run at the end instead of the short bend like the WB Aluminum Pro. (See attached picture of pipe before reinstalling blue end tip and turning the insert 90 degrees.) I am going to order the custom DB-Dawg insert for the Dr. D pipe on my 250F to see if it works any better. I would not hesitate to use the insert when trail riding, but it reduced my confidence riding MX on my first trip out so I took it out.

Don't do it, why run a 48 rear? desart racing? I love my Zip TY mod, but I'm changing to a 13/51, for tighter trails it should be better, enjoy the bike.

• grayracer513

Posted April 22, 2007 - 08:37 PM

Don't do it, why run a 48 rear? desart racing? I love my Zip TY mod, but I'm changing to a 13/51, for tughter trails it should be better, enjoy the bike.

Don't do what? We run a 14/50 or a 14/49 on ours so we don't have to shift so often on the track.

• Yamahafan

Posted April 23, 2007 - 05:46 AM

I had a better idea on how to take the edge off the abrupt hit on the Redbeard mod performed by Zip-Ty:

I might try to add a little more flywheel weight which should also reduce the propensity to stall in corners. :applause:

http://www.yamaha-mo...0/0/detail.aspx

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.