Foam filter oil alternative

5 replies to this topic
  • MountainMax

Posted April 22, 2007 - 12:54 PM

last fall i called my local dealer to order some foam filter oil for my bike, well it's well into spring and they still don't have any, said they need to wait to order an oil order like only 2 times a year. Anyhow I need to get my bike on the go and was going to clean my filter tomorrow and oil it up with something, what do you guys recommend untill i can find the proper stuff? I was thinking along the lines of like 0w30 synthetic motor oil, I also have some k&n filter oil kicking around, would this work?

• WR_Dave

Posted April 22, 2007 - 02:28 PM

I would never use motor oil to lude the filter:eek: , it doesn't tack up and it runs down out of the filterand plugs the air jets. The K&N oil may work but I would find a better dealer or order a few cans from Royal distributing or from here http://importationst...gue=en&page=507 WR Dave.

• TP161

Posted April 22, 2007 - 02:33 PM

you can order some online from cycle gera. And find a new dealer thats a little more accomidating.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MountainMax

Posted April 22, 2007 - 02:56 PM

easier said then done, there is only one near me and that's 300km away., would take weeks to get some in the mail, i use to use motor oil to oil my filter for my old DT125 I had....

• WR450RICKO

Posted April 22, 2007 - 03:47 PM

any motor oil will do
Been doing it for years with no problems
Light coat is all you need

• dominator426

Posted April 22, 2007 - 04:18 PM

0W30 is too thin though and it will immigrate and dry up. 20W50 or the K&N filter oil would be slightly better... Summer grade chainsaw chain oil (red) is a great substitute as it's thicker and sticky. Try ordering some Maxima synthetic Fab-1 filter oil if you can; http://www.maximausa...filterspray.asp

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.