Vapor tach input help

21 replies to this topic
  • MountainMax

Posted April 22, 2007 - 12:47 PM

hey guys, the snow is starting to melt here and im getting my bike ready for the season, I have to install my Vapor and have 2 problems, one, i Lost the install instructions, secondly i remember there are two wires for the coil for the tach but i think i only need to hook up one, and which one? and how and where do you wrap it on an 05/06 wr450 with coil on plug?

• OzMatt

Posted April 22, 2007 - 04:35 PM

hey guys, the snow is starting to melt here and im getting my bike ready for the season, I have to install my Vapor and have 2 problems, one, i Lost the install instructions, secondly i remember there are two wires for the coil for the tach but i think i only need to hook up one, and which one? and how and where do you wrap it on an 05/06 wr450 with coil on plug?

Installed my Vapor a couple of weeks ago, so is still fresh in my mind.
You split one of the RED/BLACK twin wires. The red wraps around your coil (10 times). The other goes to earth on the frame. If you remove the coil plug, lift up the rubber boot that stops crap going down the plug hole, wrap the wire around it and then ease the rubber boot back over, put back onto plug. DONE.
Hope this helps.

• MountainMax

Posted April 22, 2007 - 04:52 PM

that is good info, do you have the instruction sheet around? would it be hard for you to scan them in and post them?

• baja4lif3

Posted April 22, 2007 - 05:09 PM

go to trail tech online search it in google..they have all the instructions manuals and FAQ's

• baja4lif3

Posted April 22, 2007 - 05:10 PM

http://www.trailtech...structions.html

or this has all of them..hope it helps.

• ETP

Posted April 22, 2007 - 06:17 PM

I got about 7 wraps of the red wire around my 03 coil at the top of the rubber boot that seals where the coil/cap contacts the top of the engine. I slid the rubber boot down, made the wraps, then pushed the rubber boot up over the top of the red wire wraps. Works fine.
My guess is that if 7 wraps wasn't enough, splicing a longer length of the same guage wire (long enough for 10 wraps) would work.

• Fullbore4

Posted April 22, 2007 - 09:33 PM

It works with 5 wraps but when I had it apart I put another 2 wraps on for kicks. I only use the tach to adjust idle and I don't know how accurate it is. Sure do like the Vapor though....engine temp is nice to know.

• MountainMax

Posted May 01, 2007 - 04:52 PM

Thanks guys, I have it hooked up now, soon to test it

• byggd

Posted May 19, 2007 - 07:23 AM

While using the vapor to set my idle the digital reading will sometimes fluctuate from 900 to 1900 RPMs yet the engine is running perfectly smooth. Has anyone else noticed this? Is it normal or is there a fix for it?

• MountainMax

Posted May 19, 2007 - 07:39 AM

mine also jumped around when revving it up at a stop it would jump all over the place, im not impressed.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ETP

Posted May 19, 2007 - 08:23 AM

mine also jumped around when revving it up at a stop it would jump all over the place, im not impressed.

Mine started jumping around too. Jumping all the way up and maxing out. If I'm sitting at idle, its fine, but while cruising, it has issues. Suspect the sensor wire is picking up some noise from something. I sent an email to Trailtech regarding this, and never heard back.

• byggd

Posted May 19, 2007 - 09:11 AM

Thanks for the replies. I'll try to give them a call next week and let you know what they say.

• MountainMax

Posted May 19, 2007 - 11:04 AM

good luck with that, their phone number listed on their website is not trailtech, it's a residence, a woman just told me she's sick of getting calls for trailtech and they have to fix their phone number online.........

• byggd

Posted May 21, 2007 - 01:51 PM

good luck with that, their phone number listed on their website is not trailtech, it's a residence, a woman just told me she's sick of getting calls for trailtech and they have to fix their phone number online.........

That's odd. I just called 360-687-4530 and it is to trial tech :) but they don't give you an option to hold it just said all lines are busy leave a message.

• MountainMax

Posted May 21, 2007 - 06:18 PM

they fixed the number, i emaled them about it and they responded
and they called me today about my condensation problem, i sent them pics and they never got back to me yet since.

• yamaslamma

Posted May 21, 2007 - 07:10 PM

Why do you need a tach?

If your gadget kind of guy then ok, but otherwise I don't understand?:)

• MountainMax

Posted May 22, 2007 - 02:08 AM

I just like to have guages to see what my engine is doing, speed, temp are important to me, and by doing mods i can see where the engine feels better or worse and where my engine makes max power, etc... (most streetable bikes all come with tacks and i am use to them) I also use it to set idle for tests too, nice to have,you dont NEED either but lots want it and that's why they are selling so many of these vapors.

I just got an email from trailtech, they are sending me a new one no problem they said, i just have to return the old one, hope the new one lasts longer then the first one did.

• byggd

Posted May 22, 2007 - 03:56 AM

Why do you need a tach?

If your gadget kind of guy then ok, but otherwise I don't understand?:)

When riding off road I use it for setting the idle speed and on the street it's always good to know the RPM.

• byggd

Posted May 22, 2007 - 04:00 AM

I just got an email from trailtech, they are sending me a new one no problem they said, i just have to return the old one, hope the new one lasts longer then the first one did.

:)

Now lets see what kind of response I get from the email I sent yesterday about the idle reading.

• yamaslamma

Posted May 22, 2007 - 10:47 AM

When riding off road I use it for setting the idle speed and on the street it's always good to know the RPM.

You make it sound like it's interchangeable between bikes.
Is that so?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.