XR's Only dipstick - how to check oil level?

9 replies to this topic
  • YetiX

Posted April 22, 2007 - 08:36 AM

Hi all, this is my first post! :applause:

Just picked up a 2001 XR650L yesterday. It's very nice, has quite a few good mods and I can't wait to get it in the dirt.

However, it came with an XR's Only dipstick and I'm not sure how to check the oil level with it. There's only one mark on it, a little punch mark, and that's it. The instructions (are there any??) didn't come with the bike and my search came up empty.

Thanks in advance!!

• rebelventurer

Posted April 22, 2007 - 09:21 AM

First you must run the bike till warm, then turn off let set a minute or less, unscrew dipstick, wipe clean reinsert dipstick oil level should be at the punch mark, on later models they have a painted stripe around the dipstick, but same result you want the oil level at the punch mark. Be care full not to overfill or you will have a airbox full of oil.

• YetiX

Posted April 22, 2007 - 12:12 PM

First you must run the bike till warm, then turn off let set a minute or less, unscrew dipstick, wipe clean reinsert dipstick oil level should be at the punch mark, on later models they have a painted stripe around the dipstick, but same result you want the oil level at the punch mark. Be care full not to overfill or you will have a airbox full of oil.

I went and looked again and realized it does have a painted line on it. I guess I ignored it the first time because it seemed like a home job, i.e. not done by XR's Only. The painted line is above the punch mark.

I assume the punch mark is the "min" oil level? Am I right?

• rebelventurer

Posted April 22, 2007 - 01:05 PM

can not answer that one mine just has the painted line. The previous owner may have done that. As long as you are real close to the painted line you will be fine!

• Bibleman

Posted April 22, 2007 - 01:23 PM

Maybe it would be a good idea to give XRs Only a ring to find out for sure:thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • YetiX

Posted April 22, 2007 - 02:33 PM

can not answer that one mine just has the painted line. The previous owner may have done that. As long as you are real close to the painted line you will be fine!

Maybe it would be a good idea to give XRs Only a ring to find out for sure:thumbsup:

Thanks to both! I think I'll call XR's Only, BUT I'm also going to change the oil and then note for myself where it is on the dipstick when I know the oil level is correct.

• nate992v

Posted April 22, 2007 - 09:29 PM

If you know someone who has the stock dipstick, measure the high and low on it the etch the marks on the XR's Only. Over time, the paint mark will come off. It did on mine, at least. Luckily, I still had the stock dipstick.

• YetiX

Posted April 23, 2007 - 07:00 AM

If you know someone who has the stock dipstick, measure the high and low on it the etch the marks on the XR's Only. Over time, the paint mark will come off. It did on mine, at least. Luckily, I still had the stock dipstick.

Good idea, thanks!

• Denn10

Posted April 23, 2007 - 08:53 AM

When i got my dipstick 2 weeks ago i pulled it out of the package and most of the painted on line came off from the heat shrinking process but i checked it with the stock dipstick and it still wasnt the same height as the full on the stock dipstick SO i would get a stocker and make your own marks to be 100% certain where low and high should be thats what i did. If you need me to measure my original i can for you so you can mark low and high on your XRs let me know

• YetiX

Posted April 23, 2007 - 09:35 AM

When i got my dipstick 2 weeks ago i pulled it out of the package and most of the painted on line came off from the heat shrinking process but i checked it with the stock dipstick and it still wasnt the same height as the full on the stock dipstick SO i would get a stocker and make your own marks to be 100% certain where low and high should be thats what i did. If you need me to measure my original i can for you so you can mark low and high on your XRs let me know

Thanks for the offer. I'm going to purchase a dipstick on Wed when I go to the dealer. I realized that the glass on my XR's Only dipstick is broken (I just thought it was really clear!) so I'll just put a stock on e in there for now.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.