Before I buy my 07 WR450...a few questions

20 replies to this topic
  • RJB

Posted April 22, 2007 - 06:09 AM

Okay, read loads of posts here, and wondered if someone could help me get off the fence and make a decision. Here's my dilema

Coming off an 02 YZ426 (still have it on the other side of the world)
1. How is the power difference (I'll remove throttle screw, uncork exhaust, and remove airbox snorkel)?
2. Is it easy to work on? Looks like getting to the carb is a right pain
3. How's the suspension (I weigh about 180lbs)?
4. I ride more trails than MX, so I guess its a better fit overall

...and last, but not least any 'gotchas' I should look for? Price here in the jungle is quite a bit more than it'd cost Stateside.

thanks

• TheBlackSheep

Posted April 22, 2007 - 06:14 AM

Okay, read loads of posts here, and wondered if someone could help me get off the fence and make a decision. Here's my dilema

Coming off an 02 YZ426 (still have it on the other side of the world)
1. How is the power difference (I'll remove throttle screw, uncork exhaust, and remove airbox snorkel)?
2. Is it easy to work on? Looks like getting to the carb is a right pain
3. How's the suspension (I weigh about 180lbs)?
4. I ride more trails than MX, so I guess its a better fit overall

...and last, but not least any 'gotchas' I should look for? Price here in the jungle is quite a bit more than it'd cost Stateside.

thanks

Yes the Carb is hard to get to.
The WR450 rocks the trails I love it.
I weigh 200lbs and the suspension is a little soft.
****The most important "Gotcha" is the hole in the air filter cage! Check it out before you buy it. If it has a hole, make them swap it with a YZ cage****
Good Luck!:applause:

• msgbean

Posted April 22, 2007 - 06:19 AM

****The most important "Gotcha" is the hole in the air filter cage! Check it out before you buy it. If it has a hole, make them swap it with a YZ cage****
Good Luck!:applause:

You can't swap it with a YZ cage. They are shaped different.

• TheBlackSheep

Posted April 22, 2007 - 06:22 AM

You can't swap it with a YZ cage. They are shaped different.

Not true. I swapped mine with YZ250 cage. I even did it myself and told the dealership this is what they are gonna do. I held them up next to each other-no difference.

• patrickincc

Posted April 22, 2007 - 07:56 AM

To bad you are there, I just bought my 2007 wr 450 for 6599.00 out the door. You can get the same deal.

• msgbean

Posted April 22, 2007 - 01:21 PM

Not true. I swapped mine with YZ250 cage. I even did it myself and told the dealership this is what they are gonna do. I held them up next to each other-no difference.

Are you sure you don't mean a WR250? All the YZs have a hole for the screw plus they are round and not flat on top.

• TheBlackSheep

Posted April 22, 2007 - 02:20 PM

Are you sure you don't mean a WR250? All the YZs have a hole for the screw plus they are round and not flat on top.

Well now you got me second guessing myself.

• RJB

Posted April 24, 2007 - 07:19 AM

To bad you are there, I just bought my 2007 wr 450 for 6599.00 out the door. You can get the same deal.

Thanks for the info guys - I only wish I could get that deal. Im looking at about USD9,500 here. :applause: :excuseme: :p :p

• ste450

Posted April 24, 2007 - 12:51 PM

Hi UK bike cost £5500, so thats about $11000, mm you've got a good deal

• MXMOUTH

Posted April 28, 2007 - 06:53 AM

My yammy dealer has had the new filter cages for a while. Same cage with the hole blocked off. They should exchange it for free. If not, get ahold of Yamaha. Make sure you get the TT AIS kit. Pretty basic to install. I haven't cut the 'grey' wire. Not sure you need to. Some do, some don't. Make sure yo do the mods, especially the "pea shooter" in the exhaust. It really restricts it. I just took the whole thing out and put the end cap back on. I went from a 98 WR400 to the 07 450. Wasn't sure I made the right decision until I did the mods and rode the bike. This is one awesome ride. I've got about 65 miles on it so far. First oil change today. You'll love this bike. G0 for it!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • RJB

Posted May 09, 2007 - 03:10 AM

Okay - thanks for the tips - told the dealer I want one today. Should have it on Friday - looking forward to going riding again. Think I'll run it in before doing the mods...or maybe not?

• snaggletooth

Posted May 09, 2007 - 10:49 AM

You will not regret getting this bike! Run it before doing the MODS so you know what a stock model feels like. Then you can talk smack about the unmodified WR with the rest of us, LOL

• dirtrider04

Posted May 09, 2007 - 05:49 PM

Thanks for the info guys - I only wish I could get that deal. Im looking at about USD9,500 here. :applause: :applause: :p :p

omg god!!! are you serious , you can get for 8500 in canada

• skypig

Posted May 10, 2007 - 02:18 AM

NZ$14500 = US$10650 :applause: :applause:

• billykeylon

Posted November 13, 2009 - 08:57 AM

If i want to just take out the baffle on my 450 will i need to rejet.

• atitagain

Posted November 13, 2009 - 12:55 PM

Welcome billykeylon to TT.
Please read the stickies on the top of the wr forum to answer the most asked questions about your bike. There is a wealth of info there. FYI...if you have a question do a search first and you might find the answer that you are looking for. Just watch out...some people will give you a hard time for posting a new question on a thread that is 2-1/2 yrs old. I hope I passed that on in the least condescending way.
If the bike has stock jetting then it is lean from the factory and needs to be re-jetted.

• ww44wrf450f

Posted November 13, 2009 - 01:41 PM

Thanks for the info guys - I only wish I could get that deal. Im looking at about USD9,500 here. :bonk: :smirk: :foul: :bonk:

Wow, that's at least $3500 more :excuseme::bonk: The wr in stock form won't even be close to the hit of your older 426y -- you'll need a full exhaust and some mod's and you'll have more-longer hit,lol!

• sausage boy

Posted November 15, 2009 - 08:16 AM

Hi UK bike cost £5500, so thats about $11000, mm you've got a good deal

#5500 is $9100, which is pretty average for the rest of the world, its only in the states where you can get killer deals.. i got my 08 WR40 in May of 08 for $6366 otd, you just have to shop around.
there is a dealer in Oklahoma that have the cheapest prices I've seen, look on Cycletrader.com figure on $400 for the shipping. :excuseme:

• Bushdog

Posted November 25, 2009 - 03:38 AM

i have an 08 (more or less the same as 07) - what a Beast! make sure you put a ZY throtle stop and dont jsut take it out completely as the throttle can get jammed wide open. and dont be fooled by mungbeens saying that "if you uncord the exhaust it will be too loud, you will go deaf is 2 seconds crap" - i took the restrictor out of mine and it is still as quiet as a tomb! every slags the suspension about how soft it is. more rubbish - that is what the asjustment is for! and if thats not enough add some oil to the forks - mate the 07-08-09 Wr is the dogs bollocks!

• WR450FGreg

Posted November 25, 2009 - 10:37 AM

Thanks for the info guys - I only wish I could get that deal. Im looking at about USD9,500 here.

Yeah, I've heard things are really expensive in "Other". :excuseme:
I wouldn't live there for that reason. :bonk:

Greg

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.