Brand new 650R what & when?

9 replies to this topic
  • CDRETZKA

Posted April 22, 2007 - 04:21 AM

I found a new in the crate 2003 XR650R I am buying for cheap at a dealer looking to unload it. What do you guys recommend for break-in prior to mods. Can I uncork immediately? Also the Edlebrok pumpercarb...worth the money. Does it provide more power than a properly jetted unit or just easier starting. If I decide to go to a HRC kit beyond uncorking...should I concork or does that kit provide the parts for both?

• drop

Posted April 22, 2007 - 07:39 AM

I don't see why you would wait to uncork it. Do follow the manufacturer's break in though. For $400 the edelbrock didn't seem worth it to me, but most guys on here swear by it. I just properly jetted the stock carb for my setup and altitude and I'm quite happy with it. There's a thread around about guy's having problems with the edelbrock's fuel valve failing/sticking after 1-2 years of use. I live in a sparsely settled area and didn't want to get stranded with a broken carb. Advantages of the edelbrock are easier starting, better off idle throttle response, no flooding if you lay the bike down. Other possible advantages which I have yet to see proof of is better fuel economy and 1-2 hp gain. Once I put in the 68s pilot jet in the stock carb starting was very easy. I don't have any hiccups in off idle performance. I don't lay my bike down very often. So I had to decide if a possible 1-2 hp gain and possibly better fuel economy was worth $400. It wasn't.

• Roll_it_on

Posted April 22, 2007 - 08:01 AM

Most don't even hardly leave the showroom without being uncorked. I think it is actually hard on them not to be uncorked since they run hot and are all choked up. As far as the Eddie carb I just purchased my second BRP and that is the first thing I am going to add. The stock carb when jetted right starts real easy and runs strong. I use the bike in tight stuff allot and if it gets layed over or stalled on a steap uphill the stocker can be a real pain to fire off. The eddie is easier to cold start also ( no choke to mess with and no having to prime kick the bike) just two twists and one kick and you are off. If the bike does get dumped just pick it up and one kick and you are on your way. I also could tell the difference throughout the power band with a slight smoother stronger pull when compared to my properly jetted stocker. For me it was worth every penny.

• XR4DEZ

Posted April 22, 2007 - 04:17 PM

The edelbrock was not good enough for Honda Off-Road so forget about it.

• BWB63

Posted April 22, 2007 - 05:10 PM

The edelbrock was not good enough for Honda Off-Road so forget about it.

If Honda didn't make it then it's junk!!!!!!!:excuseme: :p :p :applause: :p :cry:

A pumper carburetor make a ton of difference for those that can push the limits of sane riding. Mikuni, Edelbrock, Kehin FCR all are 100% better then the stock carb, Edelbrock is just the easiest to set up and tune.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • XR4DEZ

Posted April 25, 2007 - 04:19 PM

If Honda didn't make it then it's junk!!!!!!!:excuseme: :p :p :applause: :p :cry:

A pumper carburetor make a ton of difference for those that can push the limits of sane riding. Mikuni, Edelbrock, Kehin FCR all are 100% better then the stock carb, Edelbrock is just the easiest to set up and tune.

Yeah the Honda guys had a hard time pushing the limit on the 650R. :lol:

• kelleyseiler

Posted April 25, 2007 - 04:31 PM

How much did you get it for?

• davidarnott

Posted April 26, 2007 - 07:37 PM

I do have an HRC kit new in the box for sale if you are interested $700. davidarnott@yahoo.com I am running the Edelbrock carb and I think its main benefits are instantaneous acceleration (from the pumper) and improved throttle response. It has two slides, it really feels like dial-a-torque to me, I dont think it makes more than about four more horsepower over the stock carb or thats what they are saying. I would personally just get to uncorking and modifying right away, the bike has a lot of untapped potential just because it was designed as a race bike and then modified to meet EPA restrictions. The intake, carb, cam, and exhaust are all at odds with the bikes design. When its breathing properly and jetted right it is a riot to ride, when its not its kind of a bitch.

• willnevergrowup

Posted April 27, 2007 - 05:36 AM

Where are you at in Wisconsin? If you want to ride mine before hand let me know. Mine is a 2003 uncorked with the stock carb. I would put the money elsewhere before carb. Mine starts on the 2nd kick cold and 1st warm now that is jetting correctly. Even if I and when I lay her down for a quick nap...I just hold the decomp down for a couple of kicks...wait for a burp...then kick and go.

Let us know if you get it and lets go riding. We would just have to figure out how to plate it. Mine is one of three in the state that is plated that I know of.

• CDRETZKA

Posted April 29, 2007 - 08:24 PM

$3800 plus tax

Related Content

Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.