Problem with '06 fuel tank

19 replies to this topic
  • reggie426

Posted April 21, 2007 - 11:13 PM

Hi guys, I have a problem with the rear most bolts that hold the radiator shrouds to the tank - they are too tight. The knob spanker I bought the bike of has tightened almost every bolt too tight, and I can't get these two out. Normally, I'd sacrifice the shrouds and cut them up to get to the threads, but this is a yellow special edition model, and I'm trying to save the shrouds and original graphics for the future.

My question is, has anyone had this problem and can suggest a way out without destroying the shrouds? I'm considering cutting up the tank and replacing it - I know it sounds stupid, but I don't intend to sell this bike, and want to return it to original condition one day.

• grayracer513

Posted April 21, 2007 - 11:28 PM

Often, if you can remove all but one bolt from a thing like this, you can twist the part counter clockwise while applying torque to the bolt and get it to snap loose.

Or, is it that the bolt has bound to the molded-in brass nut and spun it loose in the tank, but won't loosen out of the nut?

• reggie426

Posted April 21, 2007 - 11:36 PM

Hi, thanks for replying so quick!

I'm sure the bolts are tight in the brass thread, as I can feel the lug turning inside the tank molding - tight, then loose, tight then loose etc as it turns, which tells me I think the lug is square shape and all it's doing to rounding out the plastic seat. In the end, I could just cut the shrouds, but I really don't want to, as I can't buy these graphics ever again.

• moochie

Posted April 22, 2007 - 05:39 AM

Sounds like you'll need to VERY carefully drill into the bolt in order to get that thing out of there. Look at the diameter of one of the other bolts you already have out to pick the right sized bit large as possible without getting into brass insert) and to also know exactly how far you can drill without going to deep. If done right that will do a few things, it should allow you to chisel the bolt head off and also provide enough relief to the threads that you can get the remaining threads out with an easy out.

• grayracer513

Posted April 22, 2007 - 08:02 AM

So, then, if it's turning the cast-in lug, one of two things has happened. He has used too long a bolt, and bottomed it out, jamming it in, or the simply seized due to corrosion or whatever.

Either way, first try a good, really effective penetrating oil. It may help.

Also, try using a power impact wrench, as the repeated shock it produces could pop the bolt free.

If none of that works there is one more thing left that works. Using an impact, or a socket mounted in a reversible electric drill, spin the bolt in the tank as fast as possible while pulling up on the bolt with a screwdriver, a forked tool (like a nail remover) or just on the shroud. The object is to extract the entire lug from the tank. Once it's out, you can grab it with pliers and remove the bolt from it. Clean up the threads, run a new bolt into it to protect the threads, and glue it back in place with a two part epoxy. It's brutal, but it works.

• reggie426

Posted April 22, 2007 - 02:18 PM

Thanks guys, I'll give all that a go.

• reggie426

Posted April 24, 2007 - 11:18 PM

Well, good and bad news, I got the shrouds off, the plastic behind the bolt head/spacer was soft enough to get them out, but the bolts are still locked in there. I can get to them alot easier now, but all I can get them to do is turn. I've tried with a drill while pulling them from behind with a pair of bent long nose pliers, but no luck so far. Will keep trying, failing that I might be up for a new tank.

• reggie426

Posted April 25, 2007 - 12:40 AM

Success! I got the bolts out, they are rooted so I'll have to get new ones as well as the aluminium washers/spacers. I ended up carefully drilling downwards through the spacer, drilling holes next to one another so I could ream them out and cut the spacer up with the drill bit. Eventually, I removed half of it and the bolt came undone, same both sides.

Lesson, don't do up the bolts too tight! If I see the bloke who did it, I'll clip him around the ears!

Cheers guys for your suggestions.

• SXP

Posted April 25, 2007 - 07:40 AM

I wonder if the previous owner used red Loc-Tite. It's hard to imagine the bolt freezing solid in such a short period of time.

• reggie426

Posted April 26, 2007 - 12:31 AM

No loctite residue, just simply was done up way too tight, and the spacer crushed hard between the bolt and the brass thread lug. Like a locking washer, almost. Being set in plastic, the lug doesn't need too much force to start turning, and the problems start.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Polar_Bus

Posted April 26, 2007 - 04:47 AM

Hi guys, I have a problem with the rear most bolts that hold the radiator shrouds to the tank - they are too tight. The knob spanker I bought the bike of has tightened almost every bolt too tight, and I can't get these two out. Normally, I'd sacrifice the shrouds and cut them up to get to the threads, but this is a yellow special edition model, and I'm trying to save the shrouds and original graphics for the future.

My question is, has anyone had this problem and can suggest a way out without destroying the shrouds? I'm considering cutting up the tank and replacing it - I know it sounds stupid, but I don't intend to sell this bike, and want to return it to original condition one day.

I don't think they are too tight, I think they are "seized" from moisture. Any bolts on a YZ left in after a year WILL begine to sieze. I make it a new bike ritual to remove the common bodywork bolts, and dab a bit of antiseeze on them. This allows a quick and painless removal for years. Antiseeze is impervious to water.

• reggie426

Posted April 26, 2007 - 06:22 AM

Nope, not siezed, once I had cut through the spacer with the drill, the bolts came undone as if never tightened up in the first place. Just a twit who tightened up bolts too tight and squashed it.

• grayracer513

Posted April 26, 2007 - 07:46 AM

You chose a good method of fixing it, too. Had I remembered the heavy guage aluminum rings under the shroud bolts on the '06, I might have thought of that approach. When you were able to remove the spacer from under the bolt, you took all the tension off of it. Good work. :applause:

• Polar_Bus

Posted April 26, 2007 - 08:04 AM

Good, i'm glad I was wrong about the bolts being siezed. I remember the hell I went through trying to remove the two front sprocket cover bolts. They were SEIZED big time. I ruined one set of threads and had to heli-coil repair.

• moochie

Posted April 26, 2007 - 02:52 PM

You chose a good method of fixing it, too. Had I remembered the heavy guage aluminum rings under the shroud bolts on the '06, I might have thought of that approach. When you were able to remove the spacer from under the bolt, you took all the tension off of it. Good work. :applause:

Yep, that's what I meant by drilling into the bolt with a big enough bit that you could then chisel off the head as that would release the tension on the threads in order to be able to use an easy out.

• grayracer513

Posted April 26, 2007 - 03:38 PM

The thing that happens most often with shroud bolts is that some young nimrod will loose one and substitute a bolt that's too long, bottoming it out in the brass nut. Cutting the head of is no help in those cases.

• Polar_Bus

Posted April 26, 2007 - 04:28 PM

The thing that happens most often with shroud bolts is that some young nimrod will loose one and substitute a bolt that's too long, bottoming it out in the brass nut. Cutting the head of is no help in those cases.

At least Yamaha has smartened up over the years. Back in '02 Yami was using a large phillips screw to attatch the rad shrouds, what a friggin PIA to remove those screws. (god forbid if you let those screws get corroded for a year without removing them)

• 02YZ426

Posted November 13, 2007 - 07:42 PM

I just ran into this problem myself :thumbsup: Its either seized from moisture or possibly I over tightened it.. either way the insert is spinning inside the tank :ride: I'm going to drill the head off tomorrow, hopefully the bolt comes out after that. Then I just need to epoxy that insert back in. Do you think I should pry that insert out and glue it in good, or just leave it in there and glue around the outside of it?

• grayracer513

Posted November 13, 2007 - 09:14 PM

If you are down to trying to remove the insert, you will have more luck with it if you spin it with a drill as you pull outward on it.

• MX690

Posted November 13, 2007 - 10:52 PM

This must be a common problem with yamaha. The exact same thing happened to me a couple of weeks ago. (07yz450)Tried to take of the radiator shrouds off and one of the inserts in the tank started to spin, so i had to get behind the shroud and cut a slit in it where the bolt was so i could then slide the head of the bolt through the slit to get the shroud off. Then had to try and hold the insert while i undid the bolt. I eventually got the bolt out and then tried to pull the insert out so i could re fit it in the tank so it wouldnt spin but it was impossible to get out, without destroying the tank. So i just tried to get some loctite inbetween the insert and tank just by rocking the insert backward and forward and forcing some loctite into the gap (took me an hour to fill it) then let it dry completly over a couple of days. i havent actually tried to take the shroud of again so i dont know if its worked but ill cross that bridge when i come to it.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.