Standard handlebar diameter

5 replies to this topic
  • Big Red Paul

Posted April 21, 2007 - 05:13 PM

Hi everyone,

looking to raise my handlebars up, and fit a good set of aftermarket bars.

Thinking about ordering a set of Rox Risers:

http://www.roxspeedf...i?subcat_id=268

5inch rise. The risers bolt into the handlebar clamps.

Question One: What is the diameter of the standard bars on the bike now ?
Question Two: What diameter are most after market bars ? Renthal, or Pro Taper ?

Do I go: 5" Rise x 7/8" Stem Clamp x 7/8" ? OR
Do I go: 5" Rise x 7/8" Stem Clamp x 1 1/8" ?

Any help, as usual, is really appreciated.

• rebelventurer

Posted April 22, 2007 - 09:34 AM

I would think that a 5" rise is a bit drastic. This part is intended for pit bikes. A 2" would accomadate a rider up to 6'4". To answer your question standard bars are 7/8" diameter. Both Renthal and Protaper make both a 7/8" and 1 1/8" bar. its more of a matter of prefferance. Do you want a crossbar? If not then either the Renthal fatbars, or Twinwall or Protaper Evo, Contour or original protaper. If you want the crossbar I would reccomend the more economical 7/8" bars from either Renthal or Protaper. I am not a fan of the adapter risers, I would reccomend a billet top clamp with adjustable bar mounts, they are much,much stronger than the stock cast pieces. Though I must add these particular risers are the neatest ones I have seen thus far. I use the following top clamp and bar mounts. www.rswracing.com
The fact that you are in the U.K. I would be a bit biased towards the Renthal bars, there great and you should be able to get them a bit cheaper than the rest of us.

• Big Red Paul

Posted April 22, 2007 - 03:58 PM

Rebelventurer, thanks for the info.
I am 6 feet 8 inches tall, with very long arms. Perhaps, even so, the 5 inch rise is a bit extreme. Yes, I noticed those clamps are for pit bikes as well. I mailed the company yesterday, and am waiting for their advice.
Thanks for reply

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • xr650l bum

Posted April 22, 2007 - 04:19 PM

Hey Paul! I am 6' 5'' and went up a total of 3 inches and the cr double high bend. Perfect! For you I would recommend the 3 1/2" risers. If you needed a little higher you could go with the double high bend! Remember the nice things about these risers is that they will rotate forward for that perfect fit. 5" will be to high and there is no going down. The difference in position is day and night! Good luck! My .02

• xr650rkyle

Posted April 22, 2007 - 06:58 PM

My Tall "set up"

I am 6'6" and run 2 3/4 risers and renthal fat bar 1 1/8 carmical high's (4.5") It's perfect!:applause:

• Big Red Paul

Posted April 22, 2007 - 11:01 PM

Wow, we have a lot of Power Forwards, and Centers riding these 650s !!

Thanks for advice xr650l bum and xr650rkyle, I will get the: 3 1/2" Rise x 7/8" Stem Clamp x 1 1/8" and slap on some 1 1/8 carmichael highs.

Happy riding all

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.