Thinking about a pumper carb

6 replies to this topic
  • Bibleman

Posted April 21, 2007 - 05:02 AM

I'm in the process of dismantling my XRL (only got 2 miles on it!) to get it "right":p I have the usual goodies on the way but now I'm thinking about skipping the jet kit and going for a pumper. Could someone please answer the following ???s
1. Is there a clear best choice as far as brand?
2. How do you tune one?
3. Is there really a significant benefit over a properly jetted stock carb?
4. Any downside (aside from price!)?

Thanks!

• goblin127

Posted April 21, 2007 - 05:35 AM

Best bet is to do a search and you are gooing to get plenty to read. I have not seen much negative. Price is a big consern and there were problems with the pump going bad. Some sort of adjusting knob seemed to break. I thought of going with it awhile back but the price was just not tolerable for me. I did put a mikuni flat slide with out pump from XRs only and am very happy with it.

• Bibleman

Posted April 21, 2007 - 05:49 AM

Well if I may hijack my own thread, let me ask you your opinion. Besides the usual Dave's mods, I have the FMF Q2 pipe coming. I decided to go with 55/160 jets since I figure the Q2 will have more flow than the stock pipe but not that much more. Do you think I'm in the ballpark with the jets I ordered?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • goblin127

Posted April 21, 2007 - 03:36 PM

Yes, right on the money.

• Bibleman

Posted April 21, 2007 - 05:04 PM

OK thanks!

• xr500_89

Posted April 22, 2007 - 11:06 AM

i put a mikuni pumper on mine and noticed a very large increase in response and power it was unbelievable how much a difference it made and for only 270 it was a steal check out www.pro-flo.com they got all kinds from 99-350 non pumper and pumper fast shipping too

• Denn10

Posted April 23, 2007 - 08:57 AM

If you look XRs only actually has 2 different carbs for the L but you can always give them a hollar and ask their opinion also.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.