Kickback warning: Is there something wrong

24 replies to this topic
  • MN_Paul

Posted April 20, 2007 - 06:35 PM

I just got back from Urgent Care with a nasty ankle sprain from trying to kickstart my 2005 WR450. I had been riding it about 30 seconds and I killed it (still cold). When the estart didn't fire it off right away, I tried kick starting it. About the 3rd kick, it kicked back HARD my foot went instantly numb. Is there supposed to be some anti-kickback feature or does this just happen from time to time?

Paul

• ncampion

Posted April 20, 2007 - 07:16 PM

It's a big bore 4 stroke, sometimes that happens, usually there's something not quite right with fuel delivery. I always make it a point to get my foot off the kickstart lever at the bottom of the stroke.

• cashflow911

Posted April 20, 2007 - 11:39 PM

Also do not use the throttle when starting the bike. I rode a 2 stroke before my WR so I had to learn this one the hard way.

• Team_Oatmeal_Pie

Posted April 21, 2007 - 08:53 AM

Always wear proper MX boots when riding or even attempting to kick start the bike. I learned my mistake when kicking/starting so I could warm it up before an oil change, flip flops = no protection.

• ckulzer

Posted April 24, 2007 - 09:37 AM

If you turn the throttle whilst starting, the TPS (throttle position sensor) advances the timing which will cause a kickback situation. Before you completed your stroke with the kickstarter, the spark had occured and your ankle took the hit.

2 pence for you....

• protaper

Posted April 24, 2007 - 10:40 AM

You would think there should be some kind of anti kick back. Shouldn't have to be scared to kick over your bike. Definitly should be some kind of anti kick back on every bike!

• woodsk

Posted April 24, 2007 - 12:48 PM

boots!

even if I am just starting up after an oil change I always throw a boot on my kicking foot. of course I figured this out years ago when my calf ended up looking like someone had whacked it with a putter

• kayloe

Posted April 21, 2008 - 11:00 AM

Just got kick back, my mate wanted to here it running. Could i be bothered to put boots on ? no. God my ankle hurts like hell, not gonna do that again in a hurry.

• beezer

Posted April 21, 2008 - 11:47 AM

All the WR450's I've owned don't like to start when cold with the e-start.

Starting it without a mx boot on can be quite painful as you've found out.

• martin450

Posted April 21, 2008 - 11:48 AM

Ouch , I just learned something new , BOOTS !
I have learned not to pull the throttle already,
It does say it all in the handbook as well i noticed.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • kayloe

Posted April 21, 2008 - 12:25 PM

lol, funny how we learn the hard way.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted April 21, 2008 - 06:38 PM

I just got back from Urgent Care with a nasty ankle sprain from trying to kickstart my 2005 WR450. I had been riding it about 30 seconds and I killed it (still cold). When the estart didn't fire it off right away, I tried kick starting it. About the 3rd kick, it kicked back HARD my foot went instantly numb. Is there supposed to be some anti-kickback feature or does this just happen from time to time?

Paul

That sucks. But the wr450 is a super easy bike to deal with. I think you were unlucky.

You should wear a boot to protect your foot. A regular shoe isn't enough.

if you think that wr kicks back hard, you should try my xr500. It will throw you up and over the bike.

• kjr247

Posted April 21, 2008 - 06:49 PM

My WR cut a slice in my sneaker when I tried to kick the beast. I always wear my boots. It is dangerous to kick those bikes without boots. I am not sure how many people in the world can kick that bike. I kid with my neighbors when they come over... "shut your mouth or I will make you kick over the WR!!! LOL. They run away screaming...It is scary man. The good thing is that my WR only takes a few kicks to start.

I still have a big scar on my calf where a 1979 RM125 got me good. It just ripped my skin apart. KJR

• ozwr

Posted April 21, 2008 - 07:56 PM

MY '07 starts perfect with the electric start, hot or cold.

It is also an easy bike to kickstart, I think you all need a can of 'HARDEN THE HELL UP'.

• JSanfilippo

Posted April 21, 2008 - 07:58 PM

I've kicked my bike in slippers and sandals :thumbsup:

Just follow the thumper kicking technique and it'll be all good. For those that don't know what it is...

Slowly kick untill the resistance is hard (compression stroke)
Bring to the top of the stroke
Give it a strong full kick

• beezer

Posted April 22, 2008 - 09:36 AM

Every notice that all the guys that are still wet behind the ears have all the answers?

One day you know it'll be them hoping around with a hole in their flip flops.

• MotoGoalie

Posted April 22, 2008 - 09:44 AM

I've kicked my bike in slippers and sandals :rant:

Just follow the thumper kicking technique and it'll be all good. For those that don't know what it is...

Slowly kick untill the resistance is hard (compression stroke)
Bring to the top of the stroke
Give it a strong full kick

yeah, im a noob too, i've only been riding for 27 years :ride: and the WR 450 is one of the easiest 4 strokes to start I've ever had.:thumbsup:

My XR600 isnt too tough unless it gets dumped.

Starting my old 88 XR600 was a complete bitch that required voodoo, a priest and usually a giant sloped hill.

If you follow the 'drill' Im quite sure you'll never have a kickback, I've never had that problem.

If you want a real kick back, try starting a '76 Husky 390 (i think, it was an odd number) or any DT 1 big bore. Those will toss you right over the handlebars and make you fear the starter.

• beezer

Posted April 22, 2008 - 10:29 AM

I still have a RT1 Yamaha that I hate to ride because you have to start it to ride it.

• brad the best

Posted April 22, 2008 - 10:54 AM

the old bsa 500's had to be bomb started because if it kicked your leg would ether break or you would fly over the bars .

• kayloe

Posted April 22, 2008 - 12:47 PM

Ever since it it nearly broke me ankle last night its put me off trying again lol.
Must show the blue beast who's the boss?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.