Oil Filter and Mobil 1 @ Walmart

7 replies to this topic
  • Vezi

Posted April 20, 2007 - 06:12 AM

For those of us (XR650L) using the fram CH6015 they are sold at Walmart for $4.94 ea which is less than the local bike shop. They also sell Mobil ! Racing 4T Fully Synthetic 10w-40 oil for $8.23.

• Kawabuggy

Posted April 20, 2007 - 06:38 AM

You can also get the Wix oil filter-which is a much better filter than anything Fram has ever even dreamt of making for about $6 at any O'Reilly auto parts.

They also have Lucas semi-synthetic specifically for 4 stroke motorcycles for $6.23 a quart.

In regards to Fram filters-do a search on the internet about them. There was a study done on automotive oil filters that shows that Fram is one of the lowest quality filters produced in an independent study of over 300 different filters. I don't know if that carries over to the motorcycle filters, but I will not use Fram in anything I own. Heck, I wouldn't use Fram in a car I was trying to dump on my worst enemy. .

• Vezi

Posted April 20, 2007 - 06:50 AM

I, use Wix which is a "Napa Gold" in all my vehicles and yes Fram sucks. The Fram cartridge filters are fine to use in bikes. We don't have O'Reilly's in NV but we do have Napa. The Mobil ! 4T is specifically for bikes.

• goblin127

Posted April 20, 2007 - 07:22 AM

I've heard the cartridge filters are fine also,probly made by some one else or vise versa.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ajones

Posted April 20, 2007 - 07:24 AM

I have a slightly off topic question. I went to change my oil this year and one of the allen bolts to get to the filter is too worn to remove. I bought new oem bolts to replace it but.... What is the best way to remove the old bolt?

I had one friend tell me to take a slightly oversize allen and tap it in with a hammer, remove it, and then replace it?

Good advice? other options?

Thank you,
AJ

• InternalCombustion

Posted April 20, 2007 - 05:43 PM

Vezi, thanks for the heads-up on Mobil One, 4XT at Walmart, at a good price, no less!

You da man.

• paul246

Posted April 21, 2007 - 05:23 AM

I have a slightly off topic question. I went to change my oil this year and one of the allen bolts to get to the filter is too worn to remove. I bought new oem bolts to replace it but.... What is the best way to remove the old bolt?

I had one friend tell me to take a slightly oversize allen and tap it in with a hammer, remove it, and then replace it?

Good advice? other options?

Thank you,
AJ

AJ, I agree with the idea of tapping a slightly oversize allen wrench into the hole and then backing the bolt out. If you can only get it out a bit then you may have enough area to grab with a small pair of vise grips to finish the job (and the bolt).

Since you are replacing the bolts with new OEM, go one step further and heli-coil each of the holes. You won't have to worry about them after that. I'll be doing the heli-coil mod on my next oil change.

• Kawabuggy

Posted April 21, 2007 - 06:51 AM

Those bolts on the filter cover should not be recessed. You should easily be able to grab the head of the bolt with a pair of pliers, and then work it out. Otherwise, try the over-size allen wrench idea. I just went through this recently.

One thing I was sure to do when putting the new screws back in was to use anti-seize on the threads for those 3 bolts, and DO NOT OVER-TIGHTEN them! There is an o-ring seal on the cover so you only need to snug the bolts. The anti-seize will insure that the next filter change they will come right out without stripping the bolts.

When I recently did my top end, I used anti-seize on EVERY bolt that went into threaded aluminum. Some will say I should not have used it, but I just feel more comfortable knowing I won't be pulling threads out with the bolt years from now when/if I have to go into the motor again.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.