XR650L quit on me

14 replies to this topic
  • paul246

Posted April 20, 2007 - 02:37 AM

I have a 2005 XR650L. This morning it started fine, ran for a few minutes and then just quit. It has a nearly full tank, petcock was open.

I did notice a strange burning odour immediately after it quit.

The bike has also, in the last couple of weeks, just shut off a couple of times shortly after starting, but it always quickly re-started. This time, no way.

Any ideas?

• goblin127

Posted April 20, 2007 - 03:48 AM

Will the motor turn over with the e start?

• paul246

Posted April 20, 2007 - 04:18 AM

Yes, it turns over normally, just won't fire.

• cleonard

Posted April 20, 2007 - 05:30 AM

If the starter is turning the engine over, but it will not start, check for spark. Take the plug out and plug it back into the spark plug wire. Lay it on the engine and turn it over. If you don't see any spark then that is the problem. It could be any ignition component, but with the 650L it is usually that CDI box.

• Motosprtman

Posted April 20, 2007 - 05:50 AM

ya know we never had this problem with points! on the old XL's they seemingly ran forever! makes me worry about my 05XR650L got a DS ride in the mountains coming up on July 1st, 100 miles on single track trail etc in the Olympic mountains in Washington state, maybe I should buy a spare CDI box leave it in the wrapper and take it with me. Or is it rare that they fail?

• gregman_1

Posted April 20, 2007 - 06:22 AM

+1 on the CDI. It's in the battery box next to the battery, for when you need to replace it.:thumbsup:

• Vezi

Posted April 20, 2007 - 06:43 AM

Before you buy any parts check the neutral safety switch, kickstand switch, coil, ICM, etc... for their correct values. Hopefully you have a FSM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • elrontx

Posted April 20, 2007 - 07:29 AM

i had the same problem with my 05 at 6000 miles,it would shut off for no reason i bypassed the clutch and kickstand safety switches and the problem was solved.jsst tape the 2 wires together

• paul246

Posted April 20, 2007 - 03:06 PM

First, thanks to everyone for your suggestions and responses, I really appreciate it.

I checked the fuses and all were good.

The bike is still under warranty and the dealer came by and picked the bike up this afternoon. I will let you know what they find as soon as I hear back from them.

• paul246

Posted April 21, 2007 - 02:50 PM

Got the bike back and talked with the technician. He said he also had a problem with starting the bike, that is, until he flipped the petcock to "reserve". Then it ran perfectly.

I was running the bike the evening before on dirt and up hills, obviously consuming more gas than I had expected. So, the next morning at 4:00am, while trying to get the bike going for work, I noted the accumulated mileage and opened the petcock to "run", not realizing with my inexperience with this bike that I might be close to being lowish on fuel. :excuseme:

Even though they picked the bike up at my home they didn't charge me a thing.

So, thanks again to everyone that responded, I look forward to learning more from you guys in the future. :applause:

• gregman_1

Posted April 21, 2007 - 05:03 PM

Got the bike back and talked with the technician. He said he also had a problem with starting the bike, that is, until he flipped the petcock to "reserve". Then it ran perfectly.

I was running the bike the evening before on dirt and up hills, obviously consuming more gas than I had expected. So, the next morning at 4:00am, while trying to get the bike going for work, I noted the accumulated mileage and opened the petcock to "run", not realizing with my inexperience with this bike that I might be close to being lowish on fuel. :p

So, thanks again to everyone that responded, I look forward to learning more from you guys in the future. :applause:

If it makes you feel any better, I've done that before. Also rode off with the steering still locked on my former DRZ400SM. Thank god I had handguards and axle sliders.:excuseme:

• tfb4me

Posted April 22, 2007 - 06:26 AM

Ha hey ont feel so bad I did that lastnight.I didn't go as far as calling my dealer though...funny story

• Motosprtman

Posted April 22, 2007 - 07:09 AM

I was running the bike the evening before on dirt and up hills, obviously consuming more gas than I had expected. So, the next morning at 4:00am, while trying to get the bike going for work, I noted the accumulated mileage and opened the petcock to "run", not realizing with my inexperience with this bike that I might be close to being lowish on fuel. :excuseme:

LMAO -- been there done that!

• mehowmix

Posted June 14, 2007 - 07:50 PM

I'm having problems starting a used 97 xr650L that i just got. Whats all this about the kick stand switch? Does the stand need to be up to start the bike??!!

• XR650L_Dave

Posted June 15, 2007 - 08:16 AM

'Mix, 1st, anywhere neqar cortland NY?

2nd, there are 3 interlocks on the bike- kickstand switch, neutral switch, clutch switch.

Kickstand down, will shut off if you put it in gear.

Not in neutral, clutch must be pulled in to start it.

To diagnose a safety switch problem you ground *both* wires that go to the clutch lever switch.

Dave

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.