Help with broken carb

11 replies to this topic
  • ochsnera

Posted April 19, 2007 - 06:54 PM

Bike is a 99 YZ400F.

Trying to attach the bowl back to the carb I managed to strip out the threads of the carb housing. While trying to repair it by theading in a larger screw I also managed to break off the corner of the carb bowl.

What would be the best way to repair these? Im thinking a new bowl and probably rethreading the hole on the carb housing? Either that or drilling the new bowl and carb housing out to accept a nut and bolt.

Any idea are welcome.:thumbsup:

• gbalias

Posted April 19, 2007 - 07:13 PM

retap the carb housing properly.

replace the carb bowl.

• ochsnera

Posted April 20, 2007 - 04:10 AM

Yamaha doesn't seem to carry the carb bowl alone. They want $900+ for the whole assembly. Anyone know where I could order one from online?

• jayh300

Posted April 20, 2007 - 05:40 AM

maybe ebay a used one for parts ???
have seen a few on there.

• ochsnera

Posted April 20, 2007 - 07:01 AM

Sudco.com sells a bunch of them but I'm having a problem figuring out exactly which one fits the YZ400.

48. Float Bowl
021-260 #1 Horizontal
021-259 #2 Horizontal w/ center pull
021-264 Single Horizontal

I think I narrowed it down to a choice between these three parts. Would anyone know by the description what one it would be?

• never59

Posted April 20, 2007 - 07:18 AM

sorry to hear. I have always wondered what a mess it would be to strip out something in the carb and have to fix/replace it.
good luck

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ochsnera

Posted April 20, 2007 - 07:58 AM

It's a nightmare. Hearing that snap last night about made me sick.

Just the new bowl and gasket is $150 shipped and of course no one has them in stock. Yamaha won't sell just the bowl.

It seems that the smartest move would be to just replace the whole damn thing with an Edelbrock for $400 or so. Not sure if it's a direct replacement or if it takes allot of fooling around to make it work.

• never59

Posted April 20, 2007 - 08:19 AM

The one thing you learn with OEM replacement. It's never as easy as just getting that one piece sometimes. I lost a spring for the fuel screw in vat of oil. Rather than dumping out the oil and panning for a fuel screw spring i said i would just buy another spring. $25 later i had an extra stock fuel screw, washer and o-ring. Of course zip-ty now sells the whole assembly minus the fuel screw. I am guessing i am not the only guy who has lost a fuel screw or parts??

• BergArabia

Posted April 20, 2007 - 08:25 AM

It's a nightmare. Hearing that snap last night about made me sick.

Just the new bowl and gasket is $150 shipped and of course no one has them in stock. Yamaha won't sell just the bowl.

It seems that the smartest move would be to just replace the whole damn thing with an Edelbrock for $400 or so. Not sure if it's a direct replacement or if it takes allot of fooling around to make it work.

If it was me I would lean to this option.

• torqueme

Posted April 20, 2007 - 08:48 AM

There are OEM carbs on ebay every week. They never go for more than $250. You just have to wait a week for the auction to end & another week to receive the part...good luck.

• ochsnera

Posted April 20, 2007 - 10:51 AM

So I find this bike in supposedly great condition and make the 8 hour trip to get it. Several hours into the trip the salesman calls and tells me it has "developed" a bad bog when ripping on the throttle and the jug gasket seems to be bad. After some bardering and a 35% discount I end up taking it home.

After owning the bike for two weeks and having never really ridden it... well my patience has run out. Talked with a dozen salvage yards and none wanted to sell the bowl alone. Those that had a carb wanted 400-500 for them. Sudco had me worried about ordering the right part and it would have been a couple weeks before I got my hands on it. So I just ordered a new Edelbrock 3148 from Parts-Unlimited for $475 overnight Saturday delivery to the local parts shop.

Have a big ride going on in the local gravel pits this weekend with some fun jumps, hillclimbs, and plenty of mud. With any luck I'll get to finally have some fun and see what it will do.

• gbalias

Posted April 20, 2007 - 08:17 PM

the edelbrock isnt nearly as good as the FCR thats on the bike. i would just call sudco and tell them the year of the bike. they should be able to cross reference the bowl part # easily.

but if my memory serves me right, i think all of the FCR/FCRMX carbs can interchange bowls.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.