Repair or replace?

10 replies to this topic
  • hutcher

Posted April 19, 2007 - 04:40 PM

OK, thrown chain (exploded hub) flew into the shift shaft, jamming it downward and breaking the lower cases of my beloved '04 450f. Between my sobs I heard the mechanic say it will cost about $2500 to replace the cases, shift shaft, hub and wheel, chain, sprockets and that would include a complete bottom end rebuild. :thumbsup:

Do I repair my blue beauty or start shopping?

• 133_Bradley

Posted April 19, 2007 - 04:43 PM

Get another '04 and it will be what, $3000? that way the spare parts you got laying around can be used on your new bike.

• dwnlowx

Posted April 19, 2007 - 05:27 PM

you can get an 04 in great shape around 3000 and ill buy your bike for?

• 642MX

Posted April 19, 2007 - 06:18 PM

Only you can really answer that. But, if it where mine, I'd fix it.

• TX-SANDMAN

Posted April 19, 2007 - 06:59 PM

I have a 04 too!! You blew the rear hub up? were the spokes loose?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • TX-SANDMAN

Posted April 19, 2007 - 07:00 PM

Cases are cheap since most blow the top ends up ... I would fix it.

• grayracer513

Posted April 19, 2007 - 08:01 PM

> Buy used parts and fix it, or,

> Buy another complete '03-'05 and make one out of two

Those are your two lowest cost options. I would go for the second, or buy an '06. If nothing else, you'll have a spare wheel set, and the complete head in good shape is worth quite a lot.

• Wiz636

Posted April 20, 2007 - 08:50 AM

I've seen entire engine/trannies on ebay for $1,000, but if it were me I'd part the bike out and buy an new(er) bike.

Like Gray says, you can get pretty good money for parts like the head, wheels, forks, shock, etc. As a matter of fact, I'm looking for a rear rotor, guard, footpegs, etc right now! My buddy could use the subframe if it is straight.

Edit: I guess your rear wheel isn't worth too much though...:thumbsup:

• hutcher

Posted April 20, 2007 - 02:10 PM

Ok, decided I love my '04 too much to junk it or part it out so I'm going to go ahead and have it repaired. Besides, I have really few hours on it (broken ankle recing TT a month after I got it and shoulder surgery racing MX last year cost me about a year of riding). Plus I just got the suspension dialed for me after tinkering for two years.

BTW - no, the spokes weren't loose, the hub just let go, the sprocket folded in half and the chain wedged itself into the cases at the shifter shaft.

• buzzgrizz

Posted April 21, 2007 - 07:22 AM

Ok, decided I love my '04 too much to junk it or part it out so I'm going to go ahead and have it repaired. Besides, I have really few hours on it (broken ankle recing TT a month after I got it and shoulder surgery racing MX last year cost me about a year of riding). Plus I just got the suspension dialed for me after tinkering for two years.

BTW - no, the spokes weren't loose, the hub just let go, the sprocket folded in half and the chain wedged itself into the cases at the shifter shaft.

Man that sucks.:applause:

• rbinstoon

Posted April 22, 2007 - 09:41 PM

I think you could repair yours for less than $2500. The bearing on the output shaft blew apart on my '01 last fall and cracked the case. I got a complete bottom end from an '02 for $450 and a complete transmission for $25 on eBay and decided to put in the HotCams and a higher compression piston at the same time. It's running great now and I have a bunch of spare parts. Like it was stated earlier, top ends are expensive but almost everything else can be found for a reasonable price.

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.