xr600r dual sport tires

6 replies to this topic
  • jscotth

Posted April 19, 2007 - 03:59 PM

what size dualsport tires/brand will fit on a 1996 xr600r any info would be very helpful thanks

• Motosprtman

Posted April 19, 2007 - 05:00 PM

Dunlop 606 - and many others try www.tiresunlimited.com

• jscotth

Posted April 19, 2007 - 05:47 PM

the stock front tire size is 80/100x21 the rear is 110/100x18 will a 90/90x21 fit on the front and a 110/80x18 fit on the rear I am looking at a avon am43 for the front and rear ?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • LeadDoggy

Posted April 20, 2007 - 05:31 AM

Yes, those sizes will fit. The front you are looking at will be slightly wider and a tiny bit shorter than stock. As for the rear you are looking at will be slightly shorter than stock.

I run standard off road tires on my XR600. Use stock size in front and use a 120 in rear. Presently running Maxxis on rear and Dunlop on front.

• cleonard

Posted April 20, 2007 - 05:36 AM

the stock front tire size is 80/100x21 the rear is 110/100x18 will a 90/90x21 fit on the front and a 110/80x18 fit on the rear I am looking at a avon am43 for the front and rear ?

A lot of the dual sport tires are lower profile. Much wider dual sport tires will fit. 120, 130 and even some 140 width tires do fit.

What kind of riding are you planning on? For example the D606 already mentioned is more of a dirt tire. It works on the road, but is more like a 80% dirt tire. If you want 50/50 then something less aggressive might be better. I would call the Avon AM43 a 70% or 80% street tire.

• starcruiser

Posted April 20, 2007 - 07:22 PM

The million dollar question isn't it? I run Dunlop 605 on the front and a Michelin T63/Desert on the rear. Still allows for decent offroad grip and for plenty of scares on the hard stuff... ha, ha, ha.

It really depends on your quotient of on/offroad. For me traction is paramount and it's always going to be a compromise either on or off the road; one tyre won't do it all brilliantly. I'd rather chew through soft-compound tyres and have them stick than run cheap hard rubbish. Dunlop are great value for money unlike some of the European brands. Put on set you like the look of and ride them out, try something else etc... that'll do it.

• starcruiser

Posted April 20, 2007 - 07:26 PM

Also, be careful of 'over-tyring' your ride with wide tyres. Messing with the physics can be dangerous; the extra weight in a wide tyre can play havoc with your parts and stability. Now I love wide tyres and felt that meaty tyres would give better grip and just be better but that's nonsense so beware of reccomendations of a wider fit. The engineers have bikes spec'd for specific tyre sizes for a reason don't they?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.