checking/adjusting valves

3 replies to this topic
  • sprint4425

Posted April 19, 2007 - 02:05 PM

i have an '03 yz450 and have never checked the valves in it. I have read that yamaha's valves need a lot less checking/adjusting than the honda's but im guessing it should probably be done by this point.

I have never done this before so i was wondering if there is anyone out there who could walk me through, step by step, on how to not only check, but adjust valves as well. Pictures would be pretty cool too.

I did a search on this topic and the only good post i came up with is a valve check/adjustment on a honda 250 but the pictures for some reason wont load on my computer. Im not really sure how differant the process would be from a honda 250 to a yamaha 450.

From what i have read is that checking the valves isnt too bad, but adjusting them is a bit more complicated so thats probably what i would need the most help with.

Also, if there is a thread out there that i couldnt find that already walks through this then could somebody please repost it, thanks.

• King_Air

Posted April 19, 2007 - 02:31 PM

Try this link It is found at the top of this forum under the stickies. We have a lot of great info in the stickies. With this and a manual checking or adjusting valves is nothing to be afraid of.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • trevoryz450f

Posted April 23, 2007 - 03:32 PM

I have a 04 yz450f that I just adjusted the valves on it. It was a little scary knowing that you have to take the timing chain off for the first time. The only mistake that I made was not writting down the gapping on the three intake and two exhaust valve gaps before I took the timing chain and cam shafts off. Use a magnet to take the shim caps off. p.s. It is a lot easier then you think. This is my first 4-stroke

• kyle450rider

Posted April 23, 2007 - 05:58 PM

Take your time and read the steps in the manual.It is really straightforward.About yamahas not needing valve maintenance.I have a 2007 with 8.1 hours on it and i just shimmed both exhaust and 2 intakes.From what i gather a lot of guys seem to do the first adjustment after break in and then get lots of hours before they have to shim again.Also make sure you torque everything per the manual.

Related Content

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  35 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.