Anybody Running Fat Front Tires?

6 replies to this topic
  • davidarnott

Posted April 18, 2007 - 09:03 PM

I'm running Maxxis 6006 tires on my 2005 XR650R generally I like everything about them except that the front tire is half an inch narrower than advertised and seems really skinny. Someone on the Yahoo XR650R site said that skinny tires dont grab ruts, I have TWO mountain bike tires that are fatter than the Maxxis 6006 and the whole point is that they go over rougher terrain better, rocks, roots, bumps, you name it, if it's nasty a fat front tire will just bash over the top of it while a thin tire gets knocked sideways. So is anybody out there running fat front tires on their dirt bikes? If not why not? There HAS to be some sand riders who have fat sand tires on the front. How fat of tires can you run on the XR650R? Anybody out there put an 18" rim on the front of the bike? Does anybody make a really fat 21 inch dirt or gravel road tire?

• bork

Posted April 19, 2007 - 06:32 AM

I asked this also & seemed to get little response. I'm still looking . I just replaced my front cause I screwed up my casing by riding a flat (too long, I suppose). I had a Michlin enduro comp III . I chanced on a desert model this time & it is no wider, but does have a taller profile, so maybe when I run low it'll squash out better. I used to run about 6-10 lbs. Becasue in sand it makes a difference, but chance damage when striking rocks & roots etc...Let me know if you find something. BTW Teraflex is supposed to be working on something but I heard it takes years. Put a bug in John's ear at or call him. Maybe if we keep pushing they'll bump up priorities.

• drop

Posted April 19, 2007 - 07:04 AM

Here's a pic of the Michelin Desert front mounted up:
Doesn't look very wide does it?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Hondathumper450

Posted April 19, 2007 - 07:41 AM

I had a Michlin enduro comp III

I am using the Michlin Enduro comp III on the rear. What do you think of this tire?

• bork

Posted April 20, 2007 - 04:15 AM

I am using the Michlin Enduro comp III on the rear. What do you think of this tire?

I never had it on the rear or even seen one on the rear. What are your experiances with it?

I did try to get a wider rim for front but never found any either. Seems with all the heavy thumpers out there, a wider front would make more sense. Any body got connections with tire manufacturers?

• bork

Posted April 20, 2007 - 04:28 AM

Aslo I found this in a search = http://www.thumperta...ight=wide front

• randall205

Posted April 20, 2007 - 08:55 AM

My front tire pretty fat, it's 8.5" wide (23x8.50-11)...

Related Content

Can anyone identify this xr600 piston? by ms_mtn24

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 4 replies

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies

1993 XR600R rebuild by ove

• Hot  41 replies

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.