'02XR650R Starting problem? Help!

3 replies to this topic
  • BRPDAVE

Posted April 18, 2007 - 07:40 PM

This is a few part Q. 1. has anyone put on a "Dakar" dual sport kit? If so have you had any problems with starting it after the install. I blew out my shoulder and dumped a few bucks in to my pig(3K) during my down time.
11.1 piston, stage 2 cam, new electrex speedo so on so forth. Wel the bike is now back in one piece except the seat and kick after kick she will not start. All I get in a hickup and fuel out the overflow.
Any info you guys have would be helpfull!

• big t

Posted April 24, 2007 - 07:29 PM

Has it got a spark?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BRPDAVE

Posted April 27, 2007 - 08:01 AM

It has spark. The ignition is working with they key from the kit. I talked too the engineer that designed the kit and he was thinkin git might be the cam because the only place the kit plays into the ignition system is through the kill switch.
I pulled the top end and checked the cam. The "EX" mark was 180 out. I put it so it pointed towards the exhaust. On the stock cam there is not mark but on the stage 2 there a dimple, does any one know which way it should be, it does not say in the destructions. I put the lobes down useing the knowledge I have. ie piston is up so valve should be closed.

• slotcarrod

Posted April 27, 2007 - 11:32 AM

I put in two Dakar Kits on two XR650R's, and they started every time. I think your problem is the cam timing is out.

For setting the cam you should get in touch with the people or maker that you got it from. They should have the correct cam timing info. (not sure but I think the dimple should point to an arrow or mark on the head at TDC?)

With your Acewell speedo, were your Dakar plugs and wires wrong? That is the only problem I had, and it was an easy fix once I figured it out.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.