Hot Cams Stage 1 in XR600?

8 replies to this topic
  • pd10913

Posted April 18, 2007 - 03:50 PM

I'm considering a Hot Cams Stage 1 for my 98' XR6 but I'm told it will work with the manual decomp system but not the auto decomp system, I don't really understand this as my XR has the decomp lever, I thought this is the manual system but I want to be sure before I buy the cam, can someone please clarify? thanks

• Kawabuggy

Posted April 18, 2007 - 04:31 PM

You will have to use the cable (manual) decompressor with the Hot Cam as there is NO PROVISION for the auto-decompressor. All this means is that you will need to watch for kick-back on starting. With the auto-decompressor out of the equation, if the bike kicks back on starting, your shin will pay the price. Don't worry about this issue as everything else that you get with the installation of the cam far outweighs this little issue.

• bork

Posted April 18, 2007 - 06:45 PM

I'm glad I have no more auto-decomp. Starts better . Only time it kicks back is from my own stupidity.(Giving throttle when kicking.) Other than that, you'll be glad you did!

• pd10913

Posted April 18, 2007 - 07:50 PM

So just for my own lack of knowledge, how do you remove the auto decomp or is it all part of the stock cam set up?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Kawabuggy

Posted April 19, 2007 - 05:15 AM

The auto decompressor will be pressed onto the stock cam behind the cam gear. On the Hot Cam, the cam gear holder is a CAST part of the cam, and cannot be removed. Since you CAN'T remove the gear holder-you CAN'T put any type of decompressor onto the camshaft. When you get the old cam out, and lay it beside the Hot Cam, it will all make sense. Don't worry about losing the decompressor.. You lose a lot of problems when you get rid of it.

• cbaranski

Posted April 19, 2007 - 07:07 AM

I have a 96 with the Hotcam stage 1. You'll be just fine. You'll love the great power band of the engine when your done.

• DGXR

Posted April 19, 2007 - 07:44 AM

Any of you think I would benefit from removing the auto decomp from my stock 1984 XR500R? I have the starting routine mastered and haven't seen much need for the auto system in some time, I just never bothered to disconnect it. Thanks in advance

• Kawabuggy

Posted April 19, 2007 - 10:04 AM

I don't think it would be worth the trouble to pull it apart just to remove the decompressor. I would simply wait until you have the motor opened up for something else & then remove it once you have it out. Or swap to a Hot Cam and then just do away with the stock cam entirely.

• pd10913

Posted April 19, 2007 - 01:49 PM

Now I get it, thanks very much for the assistance guys, I think I will definately do the Cam now, cheers.

Related Content

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

1993 XR600R rebuild by ove

• Hot  41 replies

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies

Can anyone identify this xr600 piston? by ms_mtn24

• 4 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.