Non-Likely Rider

15 replies to this topic
  • TheTank

Posted April 18, 2007 - 10:46 AM

Hey Guys and Gals, Im 6'2" 305/lbs and I bought a '03 YZ450..I know ya'll are saying DAAANNNNGG, stay off the Little Debbies! But seriously, Im a ex Arena football player so all of it aint question is how do I get the bike set up for my size? Is it Possible? any suggestions?(besides dieting?) actually I am a speed nut and love this bike. I have a 200 acre tract of land that I ride on and actually jump it a lil bit...Am I too heavy for this bike?
all suggestions will be greatly aprreciated!!!!!! thanks, -Tank from S.C.

• grayracer513

Posted April 18, 2007 - 10:57 AM

At 6'2", fitting the bike will be no problem, and taller bars should be all you need.

But, you're going to want to get springs appropriate to your weight. A number of vendors are available for that.

• TheTank

Posted April 18, 2007 - 11:05 AM

Do they make springs that go for that heavy?.I guess there arent many "fat boys" like myself that ride?

• JSanfilippo

Posted April 18, 2007 - 11:17 AM

Do they make springs that go for that heavy?.I guess there arent many "fat boys" like myself that ride?

If I'm not mistaken TT member NCmountainman is a giant himself he may be able to help you set that bike up for you.

Welcome to TT

• TheTank

Posted April 18, 2007 - 11:23 AM

Thanks!! I just worry about it squattin' when I put my butt on it!

• JSanfilippo

Posted April 18, 2007 - 11:33 AM

Thanks!! I just worry about it squattin' when I put my butt on it!

Sorry I guess I didn't answer your question. Companies like Eibach do make stiffer springs. In the meantime you can stiffen the rear spring by loosing the top ring on the top of the shock/spring assembly and turning the 2nd ring counter clockwise. There is only so much you can turn it before it negatively affects the action of the spring.

• buzzgrizz

Posted April 18, 2007 - 01:27 PM

I'm 6'6" and 335lbs. I ride a KTM 450 and a YZ426 and have had no problems.

• LVThumper

Posted April 18, 2007 - 02:31 PM

Check the banner adds at the top of each page. Every once in a while, there is one for the "Spring Maker" or something like that. I have a friend, who is about you size, who ordered custom springs for his weight from them and it made a WORLD of difference!! I don't know if the other guys (Eibach, Factory Connection, etc) make extra heavy springs that are outside of their norm, but you could try them as well. I know there is a guy from Eibach that frequents the Suspension Forum. Good luck and when you finish building the track on that 200 acres, I think a TT Day Ride is in order!! :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • NorCal

Posted April 18, 2007 - 09:48 PM

Take your bike to a local suspension tuner. He'll know exactly what to do and where to get the appropriate parts. Easy as .....pie.

• Dexter643

Posted April 18, 2007 - 10:23 PM

Take your bike to a local suspension tuner. He'll know exactly what to do and where to get the appropriate parts. Easy as .....pie.

Or send the forks and shock to a reputable shop (Factory Connection, Pro-Circuit, RG3, etc) if they don't have springs, they know where to get 'em. There will probably also be some valving changes that need to be made.

On a side note, I (155lb) rode my 300+lb friend's ktm 525 in Moab after he had it revalved and resprung. lol, that thing was like a rock to me. Works great for him though. :thumbsup:

• Ga450owner

Posted April 19, 2007 - 05:45 AM

I also suggest you look at getting some tall seat foam for the seat - Guts Racing and a few others sell it. This will help your butt/body absorb better on jumps and bumps - Density is from firm to soft and the stock YZ450 seat - for that year did not have much foam causing some sore @$$'es.....:thumbsup:

• TheTank

Posted April 19, 2007 - 05:46 AM

Thank you guys for all your help!!Im looking now for some Big Boy Springs!!:thumbsup:

• swatdoc

Posted April 19, 2007 - 03:18 PM

check out Cannon Racecraft - they will make springs in the rate you need for your weight. Had them make me fork springs for my DRZ SM before any were out on the market. To calculate the rate you need, go to and use their spring rate calculator based on your bike, the type of riding you do, and your weight.

• TMAC25

Posted April 22, 2007 - 09:50 PM

Im 6'9" 220 former college basketball player, try ridding motocross at 6'9". I had an 03 yz450f before I bought my new 06 and the 03 is a monster, I loved that bike, just re spring your suspension and you should be fine as that 03 has plenty of power to hall your ass around.

• SSchmi5519

Posted April 22, 2007 - 10:09 PM

Factory Connection can set you up, even at that weight they've got you covered.

They can re-valve your suspension to your type of riding, and they make stiffer springs for the forks up front, and the rear shock as well.

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted April 23, 2007 - 12:57 PM

I am 265lbs now, but was pushing 300 when I set up my 06. My best friend is a little over 300 as well and rides an 04 WR 450. I was able to get both the front and rear springs from race tech. He got his front springs from Cannon and his rear spring from Race Tech. He also did gold valves. We both had our local suspension guy set them up for us. While they are not 'works' they are very good and have made an absolutely huge difference in our riding. I rode for a year and a half on stock WR suspension before I got my YZ, I just cant believe the improvement. :applause:

Related Content

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.