Flywheel Weights requiring case spacer

11 replies to this topic
  • Tim_in_WA

Posted January 31, 2002 - 11:15 AM

I've searched all the archives regarding adding additional flywheel weight, and here's what I gather. It looks like the guys with '98 and '99 model WR's (and most model year YZ's) are able to put on anything from a 6oz. weight up to a 12oz. For '00 and newer WR's, it looks like the only weights offered (I've checked with Terrycable, Steahly, White Brothers, etc.) are 10 or 12 oz. And due to the size of these weights a case spacer is required :) due to a clearance problem between the add-on weight and the stock case.

I'm not too fond of the idea of having to install a 1/4" spacer in there. It seems like it might stick the case out far enough to cause some interference issues with the shift lever when shifting. Also makes it a bigger target for rocks!

For you guys who are using the spacer, does it cause any interference problems??? Anybody able to take a picture of it installed??? Thanks guys...

If anybody has pix., my email is terwert@nwi.net

• Taffy

Posted January 31, 2002 - 11:28 AM

it's exactly what it sounds like 5mm of metal. you bend your gearlever oiut a bit and you live happily ever after.

put it this way, anyone knowing what to look for will know that you're "cool". whatever that means :)

it's worth it.

Taffy

• Mike_from_WA

Posted January 31, 2002 - 11:34 AM

Cut the left foot peg off and attach it to the swingarm, reverse the gearshift lever and you have just created a self shifting mechanism. It will shift every time the swingarm moves up or down :D :D :D :)

• Taffy

Posted January 31, 2002 - 02:21 PM

:) :D :D :D

Taffy

• Guy

Posted January 31, 2002 - 03:00 PM

:) OH boy I'll have to try THAT one !
TIM, the extra 5mm of spacer is not noticable at all, my casing is still well within the guard, and as Taffy says, everyone who knows...knows! :D

• Ron_in_SoCal

Posted January 31, 2002 - 05:15 PM

Here is a picture:

Posted Image

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • streamdream

Posted January 31, 2002 - 05:59 PM

I asked the guys at my shop today and they said I'll have to drill and tap 2-4 holes to mount the Stealy 12oz to my 98 WR400f. Whats the story,and can someone figure out a way I won't have to drill it? HELP!

• Tim_in_WA

Posted January 31, 2002 - 10:43 PM

OK Mike, see if I ever help you drag your bike back up from the downhill side of Devil's Gulch again! :)

Ron, thanks for the great photo. That doesn't look like it sticks out too far. Did you end up bending the shift lever out a little? Does the extra 5mm make your foot uncomfortable, like it's sticking out at an angle at all? Or did you even notice a difference?

Streamdream, almost all of the weights I've read about require drilling and tapping for new bolts. I don't think there's any way around it.

Also, I finally found a phone number for WRD out of Simi Valley, CA. Left a message and I'm waiting to hear back from them. Some posts in the archives mentioned that WRD made some 6, 7.5 and 8 oz. weights that did not require a spacer. Sounds like that was the biggest you could go and still have enough clearance inside the stock case. I'm trying to see if WRD still offers these sizes. I'm leaning toward a 10 oz. weight, but if WRD made an 8oz. that didn't require the spacer, maybe I'd go that route. I'll post their reply if they get back to me. I couldn't find a website for them.

• Tim_in_WA

Posted January 31, 2002 - 10:49 PM

OK Mike, see if I ever help you drag your bike back up from the downhill side of Devil's Gulch again! :)

Ron, thanks for the great photo. That doesn't look like it sticks out too far. Did you end up bending the shift lever out a little? Does the extra 5mm make your foot uncomfortable, like it's sticking out at an angle at all? Or did you even notice a difference?

Streamdream, almost all of the weights I've read about require drilling and tapping for new bolts. I don't think there's any way around it.

Also, I finally found a phone number for WRD out of Simi Valley, CA. Left a message and I'm waiting to hear back from them. Some posts in the archives mentioned that WRD made some 6, 7.5 and 8 oz. weights that did not require a spacer. Sounds like that was the biggest you could go and still have enough clearance inside the stock case. I'm trying to see if WRD still offers these sizes. I'm leaning toward a 10 oz. weight, but if WRD made an 8oz. that didn't require the spacer, maybe I'd go that route. I'll post their reply if they get back to me. I couldn't find a website for them.

• Ron_in_SoCal

Posted February 01, 2002 - 07:05 AM

Tim,

I did not notice a difference whatsoever with the spacer and did have to put the shift lever in a vise and smack it with a hammer to get some clearance. No weird angles to speak of. The drilling and tapping the flywheel was a piece of cake, just make sure you use red locktight on all the bolts and get them TIGHT. You do not want them coming loose ever. I also have a stock flywheel in a box just in case I want to go back, but never will.

I opted for the 10oz Terrycable weight and have no regrets, other than having no time to ride.

Good luck on your choice.

Ron

• Mike_from_WA

Posted February 01, 2002 - 03:30 PM

Ouch!!!!!

And to think I almost offered to help you put a flywheel weight on both sides for maximum tractability.

• Tim_in_WA

Posted February 01, 2002 - 04:50 PM

I talked with the folks from WRD (Works Racing Development) today. They only offer an 8oz. weight for the WR's, and it DOES require a spacer. They said on the '98/'99 bikes, the WRD weights were made to mount on the "inside" of the flywheel instead of on the outside, so the early bikes did not require a spacer unless you used the larger weights (10oz.+). They said the higher output stator on the 2000 and newer models takes up more room behind the flywheel, so there's not enough room to mount a weight on the inside.

So, I guess it's the Terrycable 10oz. kit for me! I figure that after doing the mod, I'll be able to pay off the kit by contracting with orchardists to pull stumps on the weekends! :)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.