2007 wr 450 vers kawi klx 450

22 replies to this topic
  • patrickincc

Posted April 17, 2007 - 02:00 PM

What would you do and why?

• JSanfilippo

Posted April 17, 2007 - 02:33 PM

Thats a toughie

The KLX apparently RIPS out of the box and has all the same features(minus pro-tapers) that the WR has. However the WR is pretty much a proven bike while the KLX might have some teething issues although it really shouldn't since the KX 450f its based off of already has 2 yrs on the market

However, the KLX was just released and the dealers are gonna be gouging prices like mad until there are more of them in circulation.

Since you could generally find an 07 WR for about $6800-$7000 otd, the WR gets the nod for me.

• SXP

Posted April 17, 2007 - 02:40 PM

What would you do and why?

I checked one out at the dealer. From an asthetic point of view, the bike looks rough and unrefined - thick welds, clunky looking plastic, bazooka for an exhaust, WR400 era kick stand etc. No idea what kinda of performance this thing delivers though. My first impression was not positive.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted April 17, 2007 - 03:01 PM

Why ask this question to this particular group.

OK.. here's the expected (and true) response... Buy the WR. It has been around longer and is more proven. The KLX is built on a design that is only a year old itself.

• JSanfilippo

Posted April 17, 2007 - 05:10 PM

The KLX is built on a design that is only a year old itself.

Same can be said for the WR.

The 07 WR has the 06 style YZf motor which was totally new for 06.

• IchWarriorMkII

Posted April 17, 2007 - 05:17 PM

Tough choice, I like the green...

I'd probably sway to the KLX if it was on the market when I was... in the market...

But its hard to say...

• MaxPower

Posted April 17, 2007 - 06:54 PM

[COLOR="Green"]I think you should buy the Kawaski so you can work out all the problems and figure out a set up so I can just read your post and save alot of time with my new bike next season[/COLOR]

• LoopyJones82

Posted April 17, 2007 - 07:02 PM

ive lately been hearing great things about the KLX450R but id have to say go with the WR450 because it has already proven itself in the enduro world and the new frame has proven benefitial so far. riding a 2006 YZ250F myself, i havent had too much seat time on the wr since it belongs to my friend's dad. but because i DO ride the 250f and kno how the chassis works, i'd have to say WR all the way. ive never actually ridden a KLX450R but ive sat on one and IMHO the seat and suspension were too stiff and without pushness for my liking. also the front brake seemed catchy on the KLX... on the WR it's really smooth and progressive. both im sure are great, but go with the WR man :thumbsup:

• kevinwr450f

Posted April 17, 2007 - 07:13 PM

I've ridden both and I bought the Wr450F. I can't imagine another bike being priced better for the proformance you can get out of this bike with free mods. .(for me $500.00 over dealer cost) You should get a good deal right now as I've been informed by my dealer(motorcycle) that dirtbike season is over???

• kevinwr450f

Posted April 17, 2007 - 07:16 PM

I mean performance..........

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • XR4DEZ

Posted April 17, 2007 - 08:26 PM

Kind of a side question but ; why do you think Yamaha Off-Road does not ride the WR?

• Rick1141

Posted April 18, 2007 - 05:18 AM

Kind of a side question but ; why do you think Yamaha Off-Road does not ride the WR?

Good question. :thumbsup:

• JSanfilippo

Posted April 18, 2007 - 10:33 AM

Because the YZ is versitile enough to work as an off road bike. And it has its advantages like better power and lighter weight out of the box.

If I'm not mistaken Kawi and suzuki use their MXers as offroad in WORCS too.

• XR4DEZ

Posted April 18, 2007 - 08:09 PM

Because the YZ is versitile enough to work as an off road bike. And it has its advantages like better power and lighter weight out of the box.

If I'm not mistaken Kawi and suzuki use their MXers as offroad in WORCS too.

Yamaha does not use the WR in any off-road series, just makes me wonder??? Atleast Honda and KTM race their stuff. Does it go back to when Davis was blowing up WR bikes at every race? I'm not baggin on the WR, just trying to make up my mind for a 450.

• JSanfilippo

Posted April 18, 2007 - 10:50 PM

Yamaha does not use the WR in any off-road series, just makes me wonder??? Atleast Honda and KTM race their stuff. Does it go back to when Davis was blowing up WR bikes at every race? I'm not baggin on the WR, just trying to make up my mind for a 450.

Racers do run the WRs in the paris/dakar rally. But state side I cannot recall any offroad series the uses WRs. Hawk over in GNCC uses a YZ 250 smoker and the Zipty team uses YZ 450fs in worcs

Does honda run the 450x in worcs or just baja? I thought Robby Bell ran a 450R

I'm sure some privateers proabably run baja with the WR, but Yamaha doesn't support that for crap

• Murray Dorward

Posted April 19, 2007 - 05:57 AM

The main reason they dont use the WR to race is the fact that a YZ450 weights 12kg (26lbs) lighter. The average guy that I know that races doesn't weight more than 90kg (198lbs), when you then have to pick up a bike of 112kg (246lbs) it can get tuff. The racing teams in South Africa run WR gearboxes and flywheel weights to increase torque on there YZ450's. When you are racing you dont need sidestands, lights, batteries. Its all about getting from start to finish as soon as possible. The WR is designed more for your weekend rider and adventure rider who rides long distances over many types of terain. The side stand, headlight and electric start are used often.

You must remember that KTM were making enduro bikes way before they started making the MX versions and Honda had the XR. I think the KLX450 still has to prove it self as it looks like an after thought. The bike looks very bland and boring. Looks as if it was rushed into production and the green colour doesnt do it for me maybe if it was blue I might consider looking at it.
I have a WR450 '07 and Iam happer than a pig in sh#t and its blue.

Muz
:thumbsup: :ride: :worthy:

• emtrvt

Posted April 19, 2007 - 09:18 AM

wr without question

• XR4DEZ

Posted April 19, 2007 - 09:40 AM

The main reason they dont use the WR to race is the fact that a YZ450 weights 12kg (26lbs) lighter. The average guy that I know that races doesn't weight more than 90kg (198lbs), when you then have to pick up a bike of 112kg (246lbs) it can get tuff. The racing teams in South Africa run WR gearboxes and flywheel weights to increase torque on there YZ450's. When you are racing you dont need sidestands, lights, batteries. Its all about getting from start to finish as soon as possible. The WR is designed more for your weekend rider and adventure rider who rides long distances over many types of terain. The side stand, headlight and electric start are used often.

You must remember that KTM were making enduro bikes way before they started making the MX versions and Honda had the XR. I think the KLX450 still has to prove it self as it looks like an after thought. The bike looks very bland and boring. Looks as if it was rushed into production and the green colour doesnt do it for me maybe if it was blue I might consider looking at it.
I have a WR450 '07 and Iam happer than a pig in sh#t and its blue.

Muz
:thumbsup: :ride: :worthy:

Thanx, food for thought.

• TWILES

Posted April 19, 2007 - 01:49 PM

Racers do run the WRs in the paris/dakar rally. But state side I cannot recall any offroad series the uses WRs. Hawk over in GNCC uses a YZ 250 smoker and the Zipty team uses YZ 450fs in worcs

Does honda run the 450x in worcs or just baja? I thought Robby Bell ran a 450R

I'm sure some privateers proabably run baja with the WR, but Yamaha doesn't support that for crap

The Honda guy in the GNCC's races a 450X. Whibley? I can't remember how to spell his name but I think it sounds something like that. He's not from the US.

• JSanfilippo

Posted April 19, 2007 - 08:48 PM

The Honda guy in the GNCC's races a 450X. Whibley? I can't remember how to spell his name but I think it sounds something like that. He's not from the US.

Cool I didn't know that

The last GNCC I saw that a honda was even a factor in was when Doug Henry dominated that race in FL on a 450R

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.