hot cams mod

6 replies to this topic
  • 426_kid

Posted April 17, 2007 - 10:47 AM

I have a 01 426 and I was wondering how hard it is to instal the hotcams auto decompression mod.:worthy: I dont know anybody that has done it at all but AM getting really tired of pulling that stupid elver everytime i kick.:thumbsup: lol. so any suggestions or comments help me out here.

thanks

• jayh300

Posted April 17, 2007 - 12:35 PM

did mine, 99 yz400f, last weekend. not too bad of a job. you will need to re-shim, of course. If you have done either a cam chain or a re-shim, you will have no prob's. I have not had a chance to ride it much yet too see the difference, but it sure looks good with that lever gone !!!

• grayracer513

Posted April 17, 2007 - 12:40 PM

There are two approaches:

> use the Hot Cams after market cam

> Use the stock exhaust cam for a '03-'05 YZ450

In the first case, you simply replace the original E cam with the new part, reshim the valves as required, and time it like a stocker. With the Yamaha cam, it's the same thing, but you have to do the timing differently since the cam was marked for use in a different head.

The Hot Cams is somewhat more expensive (you can get the Yamaha part through Thumper Talk for about $100 even), but needs no special procedure in timing. Either can performs well in this role, but the Hot Cams unit works best when paired with the same company's intake.

The most critical points in doing the job are:

The cam cap bolts: These MUST be correctly and evenly torqued in sequence or the caps will warp and you'll seize the cam.

Valve adjustment: It's just tedious, not tricky

Timing chain handling: don't rotate the engine any more than necessary while the cam chain tensioner is backed off or removed, or while a cam is out.

It should take someone with reasonably good wrenching skills who has never done one about two hours to accomplish this.

Instructions for using the stock 450 cam.

http://www.thumperta...078#post3706078

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 426_kid

Posted April 17, 2007 - 05:10 PM

thanks i think im going to go with the hot cams mod, it seems to be the way to go.

• Birdy426

Posted April 17, 2007 - 05:32 PM

You won't see much of a performance gain with just the exhaust cam...but if you add the intake cam, you will see a bunch!

• grayracer513

Posted April 17, 2007 - 06:10 PM

You won't see much of a performance gain with just the exhaust cam...but if you add the intake cam, you will see a bunch!

That's not true of the Yamaha cam, however. It won't run the peak numbers up much, but it spreads the power band way out, and makes it much more linear.

• torqueme

Posted April 18, 2007 - 12:10 AM

That's not true of the Yamaha cam, however. It won't run the peak numbers up much, but it spreads the power band way out, and makes it much more linear.

I second that...HUGE difference in usable power on the trails.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.