Dual Sport Wiring Question

3 replies to this topic
  • bg10459

Posted April 17, 2007 - 08:10 AM

I just bought a K&S control switch (12-0040) to D/S my '03 WR450. After searching, it seems that there is one power input to the switch for the headlights and tail light/brake, and another for turn signals. I would rather not convert the bike to all DC, instead, I want to run the headlights and tail light on AC and everything else on DC.

Does anyone see any problems running both AC and DC in this switch?
Has anyone had any problems running the 55w AC headlight through the switch which is supposed to be good for only 23w?
Will it be OK to keep the tail/brake light on AC?
Will there be any problems between the AC and DC grounds?

Thanks in advance.:thumbsup:

• PBDBLUE

Posted April 17, 2007 - 04:11 PM

Basically it's not a good idea. When I did my WR I used a relay controlled by DC from the switch just to keep things isolated. If you want PM me with an email address and I'll send you the schematic.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • rebith75

Posted April 17, 2007 - 05:17 PM

what exactly did you buy to get signals etc on the wr? could you just buy the signals and wire it into the brake light head light etc, just trying to get around spending 400 on a baja kit, thanks

• bg10459

Posted April 17, 2007 - 08:32 PM

Basically it's not a good idea. When I did my WR I used a relay controlled by DC from the switch just to keep things isolated. If you want PM me with an email address and I'll send you the schematic.

:thumbsup:

what exactly did you buy to get signals etc on the wr? could you just buy the signals and wire it into the brake light head light etc, just trying to get around spending 400 on a baja kit, thanks

I bought 4 signals off ebay and fabricated some mounts. I'll probably switch to flush mounts in the rear because my fender is shot anyway. I'm not sure what's the best way to wire everything up, but this is the way around spending $400 on a kit.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.