Rear shock oil change?

11 replies to this topic
  • prockish17

Posted April 17, 2007 - 07:25 AM

Does anybody do this task often. It seems very difficult, I always do the front but the back never gets done. How concerned should I be?

• Denn10

Posted April 17, 2007 - 08:11 AM

How old is the bike and when was the last time you had the oil changed?

• creeky

Posted April 17, 2007 - 09:05 AM

Does anybody do this task often. It seems very difficult, I always do the front but the back never gets done. How concerned should I be?

It's not difficult. First time I did it, about 25 yrs. ago, I followed the procedure in the manual, took me a while, but I got it done, gets easier the next time. I couldn't find anyone close to do the nitrogen charge, so I bought a bottle of Nitrogen and a set of guages, they paid for themselves on the 3rd job.

• prockish17

Posted April 17, 2007 - 10:13 AM

How old is the bike and when was the last time you had the oil changed?

I had the shocks done in summer of 2002. Since then I havn't touched the rear shocks outside of setting preload occasionaly.

• Denn10

Posted April 17, 2007 - 02:15 PM

5 years i would get it changed for sure that could be why its not performing like it used to I would get it done

• BWB63

Posted April 17, 2007 - 06:59 PM

Here are some links that should help:

http://dirtbike.off-...l.jsp?id=266765

http://www.xr650r.bo...r650r_shock.htm

http://www.xr650r.borynack.com/

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bork

Posted April 18, 2007 - 06:50 PM

It's not difficult. First time I did it, about 25 yrs. ago, I followed the procedure in the manual, took me a while, but I got it done, gets easier the next time. I couldn't find anyone close to do the nitrogen charge, so I bought a bottle of Nitrogen and a set of guages, they paid for themselves on the 3rd job.

creeky, what bike & year? Does pressure higher or lower 25 lbs make any difference?

• creeky

Posted April 19, 2007 - 03:40 AM

creeky, what bike & year? Does pressure higher or lower 25 lbs make any difference?

I have serviced XR250, 350, 400 and 600 shocks and a White Power Super Adjuster I had on an XR628. I don't know if a pressure difference is an issue or not, I always tried to get the pressure as close as possible to what the manual specifies, never experimented with it.

• BWB63

Posted April 19, 2007 - 06:01 AM

Stock shock pressure is about 140psi. Almost all shops will install 180~200psi. The seal has to have pressure to do it's job. There is good reasons to change the pressure. The upper limit of pressure is 300psi but, after about 220~240psi stictation is an issue. The "never mess with it" is not true but, do not use air in place of Nitrogen! Some use the rule of thumb of you weight as the pressure installed but, that is not always a good rule (some thumbs are bigger then others:crazy: )

• bork

Posted April 19, 2007 - 06:42 AM

my manual says 170 & shock rebuilder says he always puts in 140 max. . I weigh 300 lbs & wandered if I need to be in the higher range. but maybe it makes no difference. I dunno? how long do those bladders last? are they specific to bike? will they ever be obsolete when I need one?

• BWB63

Posted April 19, 2007 - 03:27 PM

my manual says 170 & shock rebuilder says he always puts in 140 max. . I weigh 300 lbs & wandered if I need to be in the higher range. but maybe it makes no difference. I dunno? how long do those bladders last? are they specific to bike? will they ever be obsolete when I need one?

Am I talking about the wrong bike? I thought this was a XR650R? [COLOR="Red"]Page 15-21 of the XR650R manual[/COLOR] it states "File reservoir with 981 kPa (10.0 kgf/cm2, [COLOR="Blue"]142psi[/COLOR] ) of Nitrogen gas."

• bork

Posted April 19, 2007 - 05:36 PM

I'm sorry my bad . I was talking about my 600r.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  148 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.