Dr.D versus Terrycable Hot starts

12 replies to this topic
  • streamdream

Posted January 30, 2002 - 09:55 PM

I'm going to buy a hot start switch, but need info on which one to buy. Any experience out there? If anyone has one for sale, please let me know. Thanks from Idaho!

• gerry

Posted January 30, 2002 - 10:24 PM

I've just fitted a Dr D. on my WR426 and it is fantastic ! the main reason is it's fitted on the right hand side by the throttle so therefore its quicker to use the quality of this product is second to none

• Ronin

Posted January 31, 2002 - 03:50 AM

go with the DR.D, I got mine the other day and it looks trick on the bike. it also works quite well.

Later,
Ronin

• Ga426owner

Posted January 31, 2002 - 04:58 AM

I just installed the DRD on my WR & YZF last night. They took all of 5 min to install. I like the DRD system as it is a mechanical set-up like the factory hot start- a cable activated version of the same factory system. The Thumb position is perfect on the back side of the brake perch, next to the throttle.
The Terry-Hot start is different. It is a valve system that lets air into the carb or cylinder manifol, depending on the year of the bike. The system lets air in & shuts air off by flipping the toggle switch up and down.
I preferred the DRD & it just looks too trick

• Unkle_Moose

Posted January 31, 2002 - 05:02 AM

I own a the Hot Start ZipTy Racing (Terrycable) and it works fine. If I was to purchase one today it would be the one DR.D I like the fact that the DR.D is a cable and not a hose. I am thinking of changing over to the DR.D later in the year.

Ride Often, Ride Safe and Have Fun :)

• Ted_in_Massachusetts

Posted January 31, 2002 - 05:19 AM

Take all the positive feedback about Dr. D and add to it that they are the kind first sponsor of our little TT universe and it should be an easy decision.

I personally plan to buy the Dr. D unit next time I get to the bike shop and if anyone from their company watches this site, I hope they know we appreciate their support!

Ted

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Scarylong

Posted January 31, 2002 - 06:33 AM

My Dr.D works very well. Installation was VERY easy, and fast.

• Bryan Bosch

Posted January 31, 2002 - 01:20 PM

Originally posted by Ted in Massachusetts:
Take all the positive feedback about Dr. D and add to it that they are the kind first sponsor of our little TT universe and it should be an easy decision.

I personally plan to buy the Dr. D unit next time I get to the bike shop and if anyone from their company watches this site, I hope they know we appreciate their support!

Ted

Click on the banner ad at the top of the page! You can by your hot start from DR.D directly. :)

• Hick

Posted January 31, 2002 - 07:47 PM

Originally posted by Unkle Moose:
I own a the Hot Start ZipTy Racing (Terrycable) and it works fine. If I was to purchase one today it would be the one DR.D I like the fact that the DR.D is a cable and not a hose. I am thinking of changing over to the DR.D later in the year.

What he said.

I’ve yet to see one but if they are as advertised I can’t think of any reason why the Davis unit is better, and a few reasons why the Dr. D is better. Most have already been mentioned but I think putting the switch on the throttle side is a good idea (but not a practical one for the Davis model) and another potential advantage.

[ January 31, 2002: Message edited by: Hick ]

• Paul_in_Wa

Posted February 01, 2002 - 10:31 PM

Just to add to the existing consensus, get the DRD. I have the TerryCable hotstart. Wish the DRD was around when I bought a hot start, I would have bought the DRD. (Wanna buy mine so I can get the DRD?)

PLammer

• Terry_in_Reno

Posted February 01, 2002 - 11:30 AM

I got a Terry Cable from a friend and installed it to find the bike wouldn't run. It popped, backfired and fouled my first ever plug (Owned for 9 months).

So I bought a Dr.D hot start and had not trouble at all. Installation was a snap, and the jetting didn't need adjusting to correct for the added air volume.

Don't think twice about it.

Terry :)

• Hayseed

Posted February 01, 2002 - 11:54 AM

Originally posted by Terry in Reno:
I got a Terry Cable from a friend and installed it to find the bike wouldn't run. It popped, backfired and fouled my first ever plug (Owned for 9 months).

So I bought a Dr.D hot start and had not trouble at all. Installation was a snap, and the jetting didn't need adjusting to correct for the added air volume.

Don't think twice about it.

Terry :)

I hate to nitpick, but that makes no sense. If I had to guess, and I will, I’d say you had a leak somewhere, or were basically in a default “hot start” mode, hence the lean condition which (I’m guessing) caused the popping.

But the comment about the “added air volume” makes no sense. From a purely functional standpoint the only potential advantage the Dr. D. has over the Davis unit is the latter MAY not flow as much air. If installed correctly jetting would not be affected whatsoever between the two units, or stock, for that matter.

The added air volume in the hose routed from the carb to the Davis switch is irrelevant to the operation of the hot start. Until you turn it on that air isn’t going anywhere.

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted February 01, 2002 - 06:18 PM

I just got the Dr.D unit tonight. It took me probably 2 minutes max to install, havn't started the bike yet but im sure it'll be fine. I like the fact the it is spring loaded so you wont forget it on or get confused which way is on and which way is off. Might sound petty but it's one step less.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.