Bringing a YZ400F Back From the Dead

32 replies to this topic
  • PATHPOUNDER

Posted January 27, 2008 - 02:47 PM

So they split the crank and just replaced the half...??? What did that run you..?? I have some wear on my 426 crank sprocket...may have to do the same thing...

• beanmop

Posted January 28, 2008 - 09:06 AM

Lapping them didn't really take time at all. I don't know the proper way of doing TI valves, but these stainless ones lapped in just fine.

I paid $400 in labor to have the bottom end opened up and things replaced. I don't know if that's too much, but I don't feel like I got jacked. I know it's something I could have done myself If I took some time, but I really didn't want to. It didn't need the sprocket, but it would have a year or two down the road and I didn't want to do this again.

• grayracer513

Posted January 28, 2008 - 09:14 AM

Lapping them didn't really take time at all. I don't know the proper way of doing TI valves, but these stainless ones lapped in just fine.

The proper way to lap Ti valves is NEVER, not under any circumstance whatsoever. The hard coating is much less than .001" thick, and any damage done to it by the abrasive paste means a dead valve.

Steel valves are a different matter, but even then, lapping is only useful as a touch up on valves and seats that have very little wear on them, and it can never be a substitute for grinding (or replacing, obviously Ti valves can't be ground) the valves, and refinishing the seats correctly.

• beanmop

Posted January 28, 2008 - 11:53 AM

Steel valves are a different matter, but even then, lapping is only useful as a touch up on valves and seats that have very little wear on them...

Good to hear. The had very minimal wear, so we didn't do much. My hold up now is that the valves and valve shims came from a different head, so the clearances are all off. Nothing that some new shims can't help though.

• grayracer513

Posted January 28, 2008 - 12:46 PM

I really can't recommend using used valves from one head in another used head. As little wear as YZF's put on their guides, it may work OK, but it isn't ideal, by any means.

• 1999yz400fRider429

Posted January 28, 2008 - 02:21 PM

bikes lookin good, how much is it costin ya

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • beanmop

Posted January 28, 2008 - 02:47 PM

I spent $1000 for the boxes of parts. Considering that the Previous owner had already powder coated the frame and the boxes had about another $700 worth of new wear parts (gaskets, seals, bearings, chain sliders etc.), I feel like it was a good deal. All said and Done, I'm about $1,800 into.

A bit much for a '98 YZ400, but the license plate (plated before the Feb 2004 cutoff) is pretty cool. :cool:

• zaxcar1

Posted January 28, 2008 - 03:45 PM

cool bike. if any one in michigan needs work i got a great guy who knows his stuff and works out of his place, so the price is right. i just paid 125 for a valve adj, and a carb over haul. parts and all. and where did you get that kik stand?

• ace402

Posted July 22, 2008 - 06:49 PM

Any update?

• CryoBolt

Posted July 22, 2008 - 06:55 PM

Have fun... :thumbsup:

• husqy360

Posted July 22, 2008 - 08:25 PM

amazing project man.
keep it poseted

• Justin89

Posted July 22, 2008 - 08:47 PM

Updates???

• DMC707

Posted July 26, 2008 - 04:17 PM

I spent $1000 for the boxes of parts. Considering that the Previous owner had already powder coated the frame and the boxes had about another $700 worth of new wear parts (gaskets, seals, bearings, chain sliders etc.), I feel like it was a good deal. All said and Done, I'm about $1,800 into.

A bit much for a '98 YZ400, but the license plate (plated before the Feb 2004 cutoff) is pretty cool. :ride:

another thread back from the dead --- normally i'd say you were throwing cash away at an alarming rate doing all this to an 11 year old scoot , but you're right --- the license plate makes it all worth it

I vote for motard wheels if you are still around and working on this thing !

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.