400 head on 426?

4 replies to this topic
  • kounkel321

Posted April 16, 2007 - 12:45 PM

anyone knnow if a head off a yz400f will fit on my 02 yz426? just wondering if anythng is different or something.

• kounkel321

Posted April 16, 2007 - 01:07 PM

oops i mean a WR400 head on a yz426??

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Birdy426

Posted April 17, 2007 - 05:41 PM

Yup. It will fit. The earlier heads have a vacuum port at the base of the intake that you have to either cap off or plug, but other than that, they work fine. Need to be sure you get the right combination of valve train parts, though. The 98-00 bikes used stainless valves and appropriate springs, clips, and retainers. The 01 and up bikes use Ti valves with much lighter springs. Either way, be sure you use the right springs with the valves. Early springs will beat the snot out of Ti valves and later springs will allow the heavier SS valves to float and do some real damage. Be sure the guides are in good shape (mic them and replace as necessary), and always use a fresh cut on the seats with new valves.

I have a YZ400 head on my 426 (YZ and WR heads are the same), and it works great.

• kounkel321

Posted April 18, 2007 - 01:21 PM

awesome yea i bought my 426 with the head blown apart so i found one off a 400 complete valves and everything...

• Birdy426

Posted April 18, 2007 - 09:10 PM

Kewl. I would at least pull the valves out and inspect them, clean it all up, put it back together and do a solvent leak test before I put it on the bike...just to be sure...

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.