07 WR License plate Mounting?????

44 replies to this topic
  • Derek00

Posted June 10, 2008 - 05:30 PM

I tried multiple commercial and homemade metal/aluminum brackets and they all ended up bending and/or breaking within a few months. Finally lost my plate out in the desert somewhere. I looked everywhere for the roof vent thing but couldn't find anything suitable. Finally went with the Baja Designs kit and the YZ fender. Found the YZ fender on craigslist for $10 and the kit was $54 I think. Not as cheap as homemade but the fit and finish is super clean and the plastic wont deform like the metal stuff does. Just my 2c

• dl19

Posted June 15, 2008 - 02:46 PM

i just drilled two holes equal 1.25" from each edge, 1" back from the tail light. Then I used 1"x4" wide strips of 3/8 rubber from a Semi Truck mud flap. Using .25" bolts Phillips head tapered with nylock nuts and washers run the strips right at the L and R corners of the fender. They should like up perfectly with your plate holes. Cut the edge flush with the sides of your plates and a super sano looking mount. Fully ridged enough to see clearly from behind, but flexible enough to not cause any damage. If you are super worried run your plate light right onto the end of the fender. I just tipped mine over on a hill climb, and wadded the plate up under the fender. Just straighted the plate and it looks almost like new. Will not get in the tire no matte how much you bottom it out. Still flexes as needed.

• SXP

Posted July 17, 2008 - 05:31 AM

:thumbsup:

i just drilled two holes equal 1.25" from each edge, 1" back from the tail light. Then I used 1"x4" wide strips of 3/8 rubber from a Semi Truck mud flap. Using .25" bolts Phillips head tapered with nylock nuts and washers run the strips right at the L and R corners of the fender. They should like up perfectly with your plate holes. Cut the edge flush with the sides of your plates and a super sano looking mount. Fully ridged enough to see clearly from behind, but flexible enough to not cause any damage. If you are super worried run your plate light right onto the end of the fender. I just tipped mine over on a hill climb, and wadded the plate up under the fender. Just straighted the plate and it looks almost like new. Will not get in the tire no matte how much you bottom it out. Still flexes as needed.

:thumbsup:

This post is :thumbsup: without pics!:thumbsup:

Pics please:D

• SXP

Posted July 17, 2008 - 05:37 AM

Just as an FYI, I emailed the ebay seller of the nifty 07-08 license plate bracket about our concern with the tire snagging the plate when the suspension fully compresses, and as a result he is in the process of redesigning the bracket so that the drop-down part of the bracket has less slope. He has promised to ship me a redesigned unit as soon as he has one fabricated. I'll post pics when I receive it comparing the two.

• tweav

Posted July 17, 2008 - 06:30 AM

I think this one that ufo just came out with will be the next one on my Wr .

http://www.ufoplast....-holder/PP01219

Posted Image

• SmobySport

Posted July 17, 2008 - 10:58 AM

http://cgi.ebay.com/...p3911.m14.l1318
No problems so far.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

• SXP

Posted July 17, 2008 - 01:34 PM

http://cgi.ebay.com/...p3911.m14.l1318
No problems so far.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Wait till you have an occasion to collapse your suspension fully. The rear tire is going to take that plate off.

Hence the redesign of the bracket with a little less slope on the drop-down.

• SmobySport

Posted July 25, 2008 - 10:08 AM

I am pretty sure I have bottomed my rear suspension as far as it can go and no problems. My back wheel is adjusted just forward of the centerline so maybe if adjusted further back it could hit.

I will pull the rear shock off and travel the wheel up and down by hand to see if there is any snagging with the wheel adjusted as far back as possible. I will update when I do.

• beezer

Posted July 25, 2008 - 01:39 PM

I bet when you bottom hard the weight of the plate and the rubber plate holder flop down and take the plate out.

Which is a shame because I just got the ebay plate and it looks pretty nice.

Siggghhh!

• SXP

Posted July 25, 2008 - 10:36 PM

I bet when you bottom hard the weight of the plate and the rubber plate holder flop down and take the plate out.

Which is a shame because I just got the ebay plate and it looks pretty nice.

Siggghhh!

Beezer - The seller of the ebay bracket is in the process of redesigning the bracket with less slope on the drop-down. That should take care of any tire munching plate issues.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jams229

Posted July 26, 2008 - 08:53 AM

So, for all of us suckers who bought the first one, will we get the redesigned one for free? I bought mine last year and after the very first ride it was fried.
Total waste of money.

• SXP

Posted July 26, 2008 - 08:55 AM

So, for all of us suckers who bought the first one, will we get the redesigned one for free? I bought mine last year and after the very first ride it was fried.
Total waste of money.

Dunno:excuseme: Email the guy and see what he says. He is aware of this thread and seems sincere about re-designing the bracket.

• SmobySport

Posted July 29, 2008 - 08:42 AM

Im not sure if you guys are talking about the same bracket In the pics I posted or referring to the original poster.

The one I posted I have not hit at all. The rubber piece and plate are pretty stiff so it would take a lot for it to flex in far. I have bottomed my rear suspension multiple times and not one issue. Maybe my tire is adjusted too far forward I dunno ?

• bashn

Posted August 04, 2008 - 06:36 PM

Can't help but think wheel position and fender flex are working together to suck the plate into the tire. Angling the plate up a bit to gain some extra space is probably what's required here. I've tried the home-made approach on other bikes by combining a thin aluminum bracket with a thin plastic or rubber backing. Seems to work pretty well but takes a lot of time to make. I hope the guy on EBAY tweaks his design for a little extra clearance in time to save me the trouble of making my own. :ride:

• SmobySport

Posted August 04, 2008 - 10:28 PM

Is there a thread or pics somewhere of someone having problems with the mount I posted? I feel you peeps are getting false info.

• GPRacer171

Posted August 08, 2008 - 12:16 PM

Dunno:excuseme: Email the guy and see what he says. He is aware of this thread and seems sincere about re-designing the bracket.

I did email the uy with not response in over a week. I asked if he was redisigning and when it woudl be complete as I was ready to buy when the new version was ready. :)

• William1

Posted August 08, 2008 - 12:48 PM

What are you guys doing about plate illumination? LOL, I have two spare fenders with road lights installed (One with a Baja Designs setup, the other with an Edge), but I like the integration of the OEM unit better.

• GPRacer171

Posted August 11, 2008 - 07:40 AM

What are you guys doing about plate illumination? LOL, I have two spare fenders with road lights installed (One with a Baja Designs setup, the other with an Edge), but I like the integration of the OEM unit better.

Not worrying about the lights for the plate. It is mounted directly below and angled upward quite a bit and will get some light from the tail light. If the cops are going to pull me over for that, they are going to pull me over for something else and then find a reason to hassle me. :D That is my thoughts on that piece. :)

• William1

Posted August 11, 2008 - 07:46 AM

In VA, they check for a white light over the plate, so no way could I get away with it, unfortunately.

• SmobySport

Posted August 11, 2008 - 02:23 PM

Would be easy to open up the rear tail light and drill some holes and install an led strip in there.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.