07 WR License plate Mounting?????

44 replies to this topic
  • TSFRANKLIN

Posted April 16, 2007 - 07:30 AM

Just bought a 07 WR and LOVE it... I plan to plate it soon, and noticed the new light design makes it a challenge to mount a plate. What are people doing?? :thumbsup:

• snake keeper

Posted April 16, 2007 - 08:37 AM

Most people just buy................. a street bike!!!!!!:thumbsup: No ,really here in Tx we just use duct tape and bailing wire!! Oh and don't forget zip ties as well! Good luck and enjoy your new ride!!!

• SXP

Posted April 16, 2007 - 11:20 AM

Just bought a 07 WR and LOVE it... I plan to plate it soon, and noticed the new light design makes it a challenge to mount a plate. What are people doing?? :thumbsup:

http://cgi.ebay.com/...bayphotohosting

If you only want the plate holder bracket (you can see it in the pics) email him and he'll sell it to you. It was $40 shipped to my door.

• Humunn

Posted April 16, 2007 - 12:09 PM

Run a search on my posts. We've bounced this subject around quite a bit. I made one EASILY and for less than $10 from a roof vent at Lowes. You don't need to change your rear light. Email me at info@highdesertadventures.net and I'll send you pics.
Greg

• Backroad-Bob

Posted April 16, 2007 - 10:13 PM

Here is one way to mount your license plate. I used the storage tub lid with a step molded into it to get the proper mount. I made the spacers that fit into the light housing and longer #12 screws.

Posted Image

Posted Image

• TSFRANKLIN

Posted April 17, 2007 - 11:03 AM

http://cgi.ebay.com/...bayphotohosting

If you only want the plate holder bracket (you can see it in the pics) email him and he'll sell it to you. It was $40 shipped to my door.

Thanks... This looks like it's made well, however I am concerned it is too heavy and will eventually cause the fender bolt holes to lossen ( my rear Fender pack caused this..) Is it pretty light?.. I may go with a homemade version.:thumbsup:

• SXP

Posted April 17, 2007 - 11:50 AM

Thanks... This looks like it's made well, however I am concerned it is too heavy and will eventually cause the fender bolt holes to lossen ( my rear Fender pack caused this..) Is it pretty light?.. I may go with a homemade version.:thumbsup:

It is surprisingly light. I doubt it will have any effect on the rear fender.

• Humunn

Posted April 18, 2007 - 06:49 AM

Here is one way to mount your license plate. I used the storage tub lid with a step molded into it to get the proper mount. I made the spacers that fit into the light housing and longer #12 screws.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Nice job! Very similar to what I did except I used a plastic roof vent. I mounted my blinkers using pipe clamps attached under the rear fender using the longer screws. Works great! Much better than aluminum as it will give but not bend.

Greg

• bluewater

Posted May 08, 2008 - 05:20 PM

Humunn, I went to a hardware store to check out roof vents and didn't see it. Maybe my thinking cap isn't on straight.....but can you maybe find a pic of a similar roof vent (unmodified) online somewhere and post it back here for reference.
Thanks!

• jams229

Posted May 08, 2008 - 05:42 PM

Be careful with the one on e-bay. I bought it last year, and it got gobbled up after a few miles off road. It is a poor design, unless you plan to stay on road. Every time the rear suspension compresses hard, the tire will demolish the license plate.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • badboyjcs

Posted May 08, 2008 - 05:59 PM

I bought the one from ebay and it does eat up your plate. I used a 1" square alum. tube to space the plate out and eliminate the problem. have over 600 miles off-road since and no problems.

• tweav

Posted May 08, 2008 - 11:04 PM

Be careful with the one on e-bay. I bought it last year, and it got gobbled up after a few miles off road. It is a poor design, unless you plan to stay on road. Every time the rear suspension compresses hard, the tire will demolish the license plate.

You know that's kind of weird I've had mine on my wr for nearly 3000 miles and have never hit it with the rear tire . Do you have your bike setup at all . it should not bottom out on every ride . you may want to get some springs for your bike. I have crashed out a few times and folded the plate all up , but have never bent the bracket. I dont even think the tire can hit the plat holder on mine the swingarm does not travel that far

• atitagain

Posted May 09, 2008 - 05:18 AM

I have that one from e-bay... and the only time I had a problem was jumping at the dunes with a paddle tire on. Since then I just bent the plate so it is angled less. No worries!

• tribalbc

Posted May 09, 2008 - 06:00 AM

home made version

Posted Image

• WR450FGreg

Posted May 10, 2008 - 12:02 AM

I fitted one of these:

Posted Image

NOTE: In this shot I haven't completed the fitting, but you get the idea.
I got it off eBay and designed my own adaptor bracket. No extra holes to be drilled.

Greg

• jams229

Posted May 10, 2008 - 10:30 AM

That looks pretty clean. Seems like a better fit. The tail light design of the new WR450's is bad, period. The light is not protected from mud and becomes completely un-visible after about 5 minutes of riding. The Honda's
put their tail light on top of the fender thus protecting it from the tire and the dirt thrown from the tire. Seems to be a no-brainer to me.

• GPRacer171

Posted May 16, 2008 - 10:42 AM

I used a thin piece of 1 inch wide aluminum strap. Simply drilled it to fit between the fender and the lights and attached the light wiht the existing screws. Once extending out from under the sides of the light I bent/twisted it to hang down about 2 inches. Drilled it and connected to the plate. It is very light, very low profile and cheap if it did get trahed in a crash. I also used reflectors for the bolts as a rear reflector is required for street legal in Colorado. I really likke the minimalistic look. With the plate on you only see about 1 inch of the metal on each side going up to the fender/light and the plate appears to float about 1/4 inch below the trail light.

Mike

• bluewater

Posted May 16, 2008 - 10:23 PM

Mike, That is so funny that you just posted this. I just finished doing mine the same way. The previously mentioned rubber roof vent still honestly sounds like the best idea due to it's flexibility but just couldn't find a suitable one for this purpose with correct material, size or angles). My bike is in the shop but I'll take and post some pics later. I used 20 gauge metal strapping that was about 1"x7" and already had existing hole pattern. 3 of the existing holes in the strapping lined up ok so I only had to drill two more (3 for existing tail light holes + 2 for plate. I just used sheet metal cutters (borrowed at a hardware store) and cut off excess material so, as you mentioned, you see absolutely nothing around plate. One thing though (which you might have done too & just didn't mention) was to criss-cross the strappings. This way even less of the metal strapping shows behind the plate and you are able to use the most forward third single screw that holds the tail-lite on for the extra hold. It seems that the criss-cross would hold sturdier than if just two parallel strappings were hanging onto plate with only two screws.
I think that that the strappings were like $1.25 each at Home Depot....I bought washers and screws that were about .5" longer just to be safe even though I don't think you need to.
It will probably still get pretty torqued on a fall but should just bend (and not break) so you can just bend it back.....worse case you just lost $3 and about 1/2 of time. But I bet it could take a dozen bends and corrections before needing to be replaced.

• TheDestroyer

Posted June 10, 2008 - 08:18 AM

My tag isn't even mounted on the bike. I didn't want to rig anything up and I'm trying to buy as little as possible to get it street legal so the tag is zip-tied to my backpack that I wear when I ride. It gets some laughs every now and then but hey if it's visible it's legal.

• GPFree

Posted June 10, 2008 - 08:51 AM

E-Bay plate bracket....Nice design, sturdy, not heavy. Works great.....BUT... bend it out more, or like above post mentions, your rear tire will eat it. Don't doubt your suspension, it will travel that far and hit it. I do like the neat mount.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.