Which year and motor WR should I get??

11 replies to this topic
  • Fizzalcon64

Posted April 16, 2007 - 06:47 AM

I'm going to be selling my DRZ and picking up a WR, but I don't know which one to get! Are there any years or certain motors that have problems? Does a certain year have better suspension? Bascially just want to know which one will suit my needs as a desert/trail bike and be a reliable bike. I'm looking for anything, 400-450. Thanks Fellas!

• Fizzalcon64

Posted April 16, 2007 - 10:09 AM

Is there any threads that could help me with my choice?? I searched but not dice.

• WGP

Posted April 16, 2007 - 10:25 AM

2005 and newer......

• specialk6r

Posted April 16, 2007 - 10:29 AM

I don't think anyone will argue with getting the newest one you can afford. The possibile exception might be the 07, as some favor the huge body of knowledge of the older models to the more advanced newer aluminum frame.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted April 16, 2007 - 11:49 AM

I have an 05. Its great and there's not a lot you can do to make it better. Its the closest thing to gas-n-go that you're going to get.

Your choices in California are probably limited to 05 and newer because they are green sticker. So that narrows it down.

The 05 and 06's are the same bike and can be found at a real bargain these days. You cannot go wrong. Just get it spring for you weight, put on hand guards and a bash plate. Then ride, ride, ride.

The current dirtrider review on the 07 is very promising. It claims to be noticeably lighter as far as the feel of it. However, with my 05, I do not personally feel I need anything more than to simply learn how to ride it better. I don't know that its good enough for me to upgrade.

So your best bet is to find the best deal you can on a 05 or newer.

• Fizzalcon64

Posted April 16, 2007 - 11:54 AM

The 04 and older aren't green sticker in Cali??

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Flaminchiten1967

Posted April 16, 2007 - 12:01 PM

I have an 05. Its great and there's not a lot you can do to make it better. Its the closest thing to gas-n-go that you're going to get.

I have to disagree here, there are a few things that you will need to do to get the most out of the bike. These mods are cheap and do not require a lot of work or extensive knowledge but they will make the bike a beast.

In stock form the bike is disappointing and had me seriously re-thinking my choice in it (2005 model) After the free mods I had no doubt in my mimd I picked the right one.

• ARin

Posted April 16, 2007 - 02:00 PM

03 and 04 give the best bang for the buck on the used market right now. if money is a big concern.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted April 16, 2007 - 04:51 PM

The 04 and older aren't green sticker in Cali??

No, they are not. The 450 became green sticker in 2005. Sad, but true..

As a matter of fact, I was initially wanting to buy the wr250. But it didn't become green sticker until 2006. Bummer, isn't it.

Flaminchiten1967 is right about the "free mods". I automatically assume that they will be done. The bike won't run worth a damn until you rejet, open up the pipe and cut the throttle stop.

They aren't really free but they are easy. I think the ais removal kit is about $60. You could pay a few bucks more for different Jets. I ride the Mojave desert, I can tell you which jets/needle position works for me.

• kevinwr450f

Posted April 16, 2007 - 05:04 PM

Buy the '07 with new frame... light bike with LOADS of power... Yamaha has a deal 0-0-0 for six months...

• BCWR

Posted April 16, 2007 - 05:59 PM

I have an 04 and love it. I have ridden an 06 and mine seemed to run better, but maybe it is just I was not used to the 06. An 07, They look low to the ground.

• xrmarty

Posted April 16, 2007 - 11:14 PM

Buy the '07 with new frame... light bike with LOADS of power...

or, buy a brand new 06. The dealer I got my 07 from still has some 06 450's for $5100 otd!!! and the 250's were going for $4800. (palmdale supercycle)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.