Bike involved in flood....what next?

6 replies to this topic
  • nysurfsf

Posted April 15, 2007 - 07:38 PM

Yup, all three of 'em. (and two '06 250f's)

What needs to be done? (Flood was today in NY watch the new's, insurance stuff needs to be sussed out but.........will the scoot's go again?

Gray racer and others, I need details!

• grayracer513

Posted April 15, 2007 - 08:35 PM

You have a lot of work ahead. The right way to do this is to tear them each down, clean them out, and put them back together.

It's one thing if it's just water, but more often, flood waters are full of dirt, and several other things that you just can't get rid of by changing oil.

• nysurfsf

Posted April 15, 2007 - 09:49 PM

Damn.....I guess the good news is that the 5 bikes have 5 owners so, everyone is gonna get an education on the inner workings of the yzf.

Thanks gray......and uhm, I may be needing your phone number too.

j/k

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted April 16, 2007 - 07:40 AM

Things you probably won't have to disassemble:
Rear shock
front forks

Things that depend on how deep the water was:
Fuel tank
Steering head bearings
Oil tanks on pre-'06 models (DON'T start the engines :thumbsup: )

Things you'll need to deal with:
Engine/trans
Swing Arm and linkage
Wheel bearings
Control cables
Wiring connectors

You have my sympathies.

• nysurfsf

Posted April 16, 2007 - 11:48 AM

It looks like the water level went to the level of the oil filter but not to the height of the top end or the airbox, carb, spark plug areas.

Regreasing is just time so no biggie there.

The bikes were probably in the water from dusk until dawn pretty much. Garage door blew inwards and basement door snapped completely in two under the door handle like a saloon door. Muddy mess.

• grayracer513

Posted April 16, 2007 - 12:17 PM

Well, then, you may be in luck.

Without running the engines beforehand, slowly remove the drain plugs from both the tank (reservoir in the late 450's) and crankcases and watch carefully the first little bit of oil that flows from each drain. If there is water present, it will drain out first. If there is none, then your oil was probably not contaminated at all, and you won't have to worry about that. Once you do the oil change, run the bike up for a short time to warm up the oil, and then look for signs of the oil turning milky, which would indicate water was present. Again, if not, no worries.

Do the wheel bearings and linkage and count your blessings.

• nysurfsf

Posted April 17, 2007 - 09:12 AM

Thanks again Gray for this advice as well as all of the other information you post. I've learned and passed on a lot of info that I've garnered here.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.