cant find TDC on my 426 (sometimes)

11 replies to this topic
  • slammmin72

Posted April 15, 2007 - 05:42 PM

i have had the bike for about months now, and i know the drill, always fires first kick. until recently. sometimes, and only sometimes, i go to start it, and normally TDC is pretty obvious, u can just about stand on the kickstarter and it wont budge. not for some reason every now and then, when i go to start it, it feels as iff the decomp. lever is pulled in 1/2 way. i cant find it if im carefull, but the decomp lever isnt needed to push the kickstarter just past TDC. someone please help. maybe i just need to adjust my valves? i checked the decomp lever cable, and it isnt binding or hangin up at all. thanks.

• King_Air

Posted April 15, 2007 - 06:20 PM

Is the decomp lever cable adjusted properly? Does it have any free play?

• grayracer513

Posted April 15, 2007 - 06:42 PM

Check your valve clearance. If that's OK, have a leak down test done.

BTW, the "hard spot" you're referring to incorrectly as TDC is the compression stroke at the point where the intakes close, roughly 70 degrees before TDC.

• slammmin72

Posted April 15, 2007 - 08:09 PM

ive never adjusted it, so i wouldnt know, its worked perfectly since i got it, and its hard to beleive that it could have streched with such minimal use. plus wouldnt the bike preform poorly if the cable was too tight? and u wouldnt be able to kick it over if it was too loose. right? thanks grey, ill have to check those tomorrow. wish me luck, its my first 4stroke. lol.

• torqueme

Posted April 16, 2007 - 12:01 AM

While you've got the valve cover off do yourself a huge favor & install the '03 auto-decomp mod. It will only take you an extra hour & $110. You'll never have to worry about finding TDC again.

• robg

Posted April 16, 2007 - 12:16 AM

Yea Auto decomp:applause:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Dustin_Mabro

Posted April 16, 2007 - 09:52 AM

While you've got the valve cover off do yourself a huge favor & install the '03 auto-decomp mod. It will only take you an extra hour & $110. You'll never have to worry about finding TDC again.

+1
the only reason i came here to comment :thumbsup:

• slammmin72

Posted April 18, 2007 - 05:04 PM

i dont mind the manual decomp lever, i can usually start my 426 faster than my brother can start his CRF450R, and almost as fast as i can start my YZ250.

• robg

Posted April 18, 2007 - 05:41 PM

I thought I was pretty fast on the old de-comp lever. Until I met my new 03 450 exhaust cam.

• King_Air

Posted April 18, 2007 - 05:58 PM

I thought I was pretty fast on the old de-comp lever. Until I met my new 03 450 exhaust cam.

Exactly :thumbsup:

• grayracer513

Posted April 18, 2007 - 07:48 PM

I was raised on manual compression releases. I learned how to start big singles (500-600cc and larger) in 1968, and I am intimately familiar with every trick you can do with one. The first time I rode a YZ426, I started it first kick. I almost didn't buy a YZ450 because they didn't have a compression release.

Do I miss having one? Not for a second. The first time you kill the engine going into a turn and restart it by just letting off the brake, or bump start it at 4 mph, you'll be sold.

• TotallyMetal

Posted April 18, 2007 - 08:16 PM

Well put. I also thought I was quick on the draw... whew, what a relief!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.