450 impression?

11 replies to this topic
  • steed2

Posted April 15, 2007 - 03:59 PM

Well i finally got out this weekend ...after a long winter .
Me and five friends rode all day saturday it was great! My bike is running amazing {2004 XR650R} , fmf powercore 4 s/o, hotcam stage 2, uncorked 180 main} Its weird i find the bike more user friendly with more power now??? I can really lay it down in the corners . But i finally got to ride a crf450r ....and i gotta tell ya ...im not inpressed .? The bike is nice ,its seriously responsive ...but it just doesnt feel as powerfull as i suspected it to be ??? I think this may be due to the fact that i ride the 650 and with its longer gears i can get more out of a gear ...also you can always go faster on your own bike . but ya ...not as quick as i thought?...just my thoughts ...what are yours?

• drop

Posted April 15, 2007 - 04:14 PM

Isn't the first ride of the year great? Your bike always feels like a monster. Just take it easy though because your skills are rusty. I've ridden the CRF450 as well and it didn't feel nearly as powerful my 650r. I would guess the 650 has alot more torque. What are the HP and torque numbers for the 450 anyways?

• rmhrc630

Posted April 15, 2007 - 04:24 PM

I dont have a 650R.

I run a HRCed 628R with some mods and it's probably good for 45hp I guess?

I also run a 450R - the smakc in the face feel from the 450R is simply tremendous. It does literally feel like a bucket of bolts waiting to explode compared to the smooth docile feeling of the 628R

The 450 believe it or not puts out around the same power as the 650R. The new gen strokers make their power from revs and that is where they get it. The 450R revs to about 11500rpm

• steed2

Posted April 15, 2007 - 05:47 PM

yes ...you are right ...the 450 r is 52 hp ...{i think} and the xr650r is 55 uncorked} i think my cam and pipe helped though cause is really strong mid-high now

• drop

Posted April 15, 2007 - 06:00 PM

What about ft-lbs?

• steed2

Posted April 15, 2007 - 06:06 PM

the 450r is low in that departement 40 ft/lbs. compared to the 650 which is over 50 { im not sure the exact #}

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • davidarnott

Posted April 15, 2007 - 09:27 PM

I had my mechanic put a hot cams stage II cam and edelbrock carb on my 2005 650r and he jetted the bike on his new dyno He had just finished souping up a honda 450 with cam piston carb and exhaust and said that the 650 produced a few more peak horses than the 450 but way more torque especially in the bottom end He said there was no comparing them torque wise

• rmhrc630

Posted April 15, 2007 - 11:15 PM

I had my mechanic put a hot cams stage II cam and edelbrock carb on my 2005 650r and he jetted the bike on his new dyno He had just finished souping up a honda 450 with cam piston carb and exhaust and said that the 650 produced a few more peak horses than the 450 but way more torque especially in the bottom end He said there was no comparing them torque wise

Thats very true.

We do need to compare power to weight though dont we?

The 450R weighs what - 110kg full of gas/oil? The 650R is about 145kgs full is it not?

So the 650 would be roughly 30% heavier?

So the perception is possible that the 450R feels faster cos it's lighter?

• drex

Posted April 16, 2007 - 02:48 PM

Well i finally got out this weekend ...after a long winter .
Me and five friends rode all day saturday it was great! My bike is running amazing {2004 XR650R} , fmf powercore 4 s/o, hotcam stage 2, uncorked 180 main} Its weird i find the bike more user friendly with more power now??? I can really lay it down in the corners . But i finally got to ride a crf450r ....and i gotta tell ya ...im not inpressed .? The bike is nice ,its seriously responsive ...but it just doesnt feel as powerfull as i suspected it to be ??? I think this may be due to the fact that i ride the 650 and with its longer gears i can get more out of a gear ...also you can always go faster on your own bike . but ya ...not as quick as i thought?...just my thoughts ...what are yours?

I rode my buddy's 450R earlier this year and wasn't impressed. I'm a low-rev kinda guy and I knew right away that I would have to significantly adjust my riding style -- don't wanna. It was very light, that was obviously immediately, but that translated to squirrelly for me. I did a few hill climbs, and I had to work to keep my line. With my 650R I just point it, thump the throttle and wait till I'm at the top.

I'm sure with some time in the saddle I'd learn to appreciate it's lack of weight and hi-revving horsepower, but I'll take the path of least resistance and stay with my BRP.

Dan

• drop

Posted April 16, 2007 - 03:11 PM

Agreed. The 650 suits my style better too and that's why I got it. Saying one bike is better than the other without saying what it's being used for is pointless. I'd love to hear what team Honda's baja riders really think about switching to the 450. We never will though because the have to tow the company line.

• dezracerE

Posted April 17, 2007 - 06:49 AM

I'd love to hear what team Honda's baja riders really think about switching to the 450. We never will though because the have to tow the company line.

I was wondering the same. During the last Baja 250- Robby Bell (I believe) stated that the Chris Blais KTM525 was "fast". He never would have said that if he was on the full tilt 650. I agree the fatigue factor would be less on a rough course, but judging by this years course (fast and easy to me with a couple of tough areas) I would prefer the 650 for overall comfort. On long rides/races- I like the weight, power and suspension feel of the 650.
I have never raced a 450, but have ridden them. (and raced smaller 2 strokes) They have a good mix of power/handling/weight. In a 500 or 1000 mile race- 650 only for me.
I think this is a transition bike for Honda (promoting the 450) until a new open class bike is developed. Honda is a master when it comes to keeping secrets.

• markbec1

Posted April 17, 2007 - 07:45 AM

I have owned 3 xr650r's and one 450x all have been plated for street use, the x was killer on single track but if you are riding a mix I love the power of the 650, plus you can pick a 650 for about half the price.

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.