2007 WR450 Starter Question

3 replies to this topic
  • jams229

Posted April 15, 2007 - 02:19 PM

Curious if the starter on the '07 WR450 is different from the earlier model starters. I know the earlier models have had some problems. And if they are
the same, any advice on how to prolong its life would be helpful.
Thanks.

• PBDBLUE

Posted April 16, 2007 - 05:31 AM

Looking at the fiche my guess is it's the same motor though the part # is slightly different. But then Yamaha often gives the same part a different # for different model years. Essentially it looks to be the same motor. I usually take the motor off about once a year, clean/lube it well and check the brushes for wear. If you take the motor apart be sure to scribe the housing so you orient the magnets the same on reassembly or it may not work correctly (i.e. - spins backwards or not at all). The inside usually looks pretty good but the terminal on the outside tends to have a lot of corrosion buildup over time. I coat it with dielectric grease and pack the boot with a little of the same. So far my two WR's have had zero failures in ~10k miles between them. Maybe I'm just lucky.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Rick_R

Posted April 16, 2007 - 07:29 AM

I just did my 1st race on my 07, got to the pits. When I went to restart I heard a click and it killed everything, no blue light nothing. Pulled the seat off checked the fuses, they looked fine. Pulled the plug in between the fuses and plugged it back in, power is back. Tried hitting the starter again, same results. Kicked it over it worked fine. Any ideas out there??

Rick

• JaysDirtyRide

Posted April 16, 2007 - 04:40 PM

Curious if the starter on the '07 WR450 is different from the earlier model starters. I know the earlier models have had some problems. And if they are
the same, any advice on how to prolong its life would be helpful.
Thanks.

Hi jams229,

I have had no difficulty with my starter. However, I do not use it as the primary starter for the bike. I kick it over primarily and only use the joy button when I stall it riding a trail.

It is VERY nice to have the e-start button-of-happiness:busted: but I like to kick it over regularly. I figure, one of these days the starter may malfunction and if I'm not comfortable/familiar with kick-starting the beasty it'll just raise my blood pressure.

I have read other posts on the e-starter and the general consensus seems to favor manual starting and saving the e-start for occasional use as a means to prolong it's life.

-Jay

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.