More jetting questions... '07 650L

9 replies to this topic
  • Adamsvh67

Posted April 14, 2007 - 10:15 AM

Hi all
Tried the search and found many recommendations but little about jet suggestions for higher elevations.
'07 650L, snorkel/smog removed, carb untouched. Other current mods are custom deep scratches on side cases/plastic.
Supertrapp IDS2, Uni filter, Dynojet kit to arrive monday. Getting pretty excited about it!
Sitting at 4600' elevation, and routinely ride up to 10,000'. Any starting point suggestions? Current jets are as installed from factory.
Appreciate any help guys.

• XR650L_Dave

Posted April 15, 2007 - 09:08 AM

Less help avail. for the DJ kit vs. using the keihin jets- just a larger user base for the 1 vs. the other.

I'd just start with the larger jet in the kit, adjust the needle according to the directions, and start from there.

Dave

• Adamsvh67

Posted April 15, 2007 - 09:30 AM

Will do. Thanks Dave
AV

• focallength

Posted April 15, 2007 - 12:31 PM

Get the manual it will give you settings for high elevation riding. If Im not mistaken on the L you should have a selector for high elevation riding, I know they do reccomend different jetting for high altitude on all the 600/650 R/L models. I dont have the manual with me, but you can buy it pretty cheap and it will give you all the info you need.

• goblin127

Posted April 15, 2007 - 01:31 PM

I don't think the DJ kit even comes with a pilot jet just to larger mains and uses the tappered neddle to pass more fuel? If your running at high elevations you don"t want to go with much larger jets than stock. 55/ 158 is as large as you problly want to go using keihn jets and the Daves mods whitch by the way have had better results than the DJ kit for the majority of us.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Adamsvh67

Posted April 16, 2007 - 10:24 AM

Just got DJ kit today. You're right goblin, just 2 mains, no pilot. Not real thrilled for 60 bucks.
Thanks also foallength. Briefly looked in manual, didn't see muc. Must not have looked good enoug. I'll check again
Thanks guys. Prolly no time til next weekend, but I'll let ya'll know how it works
Adam

• goblin127

Posted April 16, 2007 - 11:03 AM

Just got DJ kit today. You're right goblin, just 2 mains, no pilot. Not real thrilled for 60 bucks.
Thanks also foallength. Briefly looked in manual, didn't see muc. Must not have looked good enoug. I'll check again
Thanks guys. Prolly no time til next weekend, but I'll let ya'll know how it works
Adam

Adam here is what you do go to the nearest bike dealer honda or yamaha and order a 55 and a 158 keihn set of jets and then follow Daves mods you should be able to find the proper size washer to shim the needle up at a hobie store. This is all very simple to do. Only a couple more steps than if you were still going to use the BD kit. Actually use the spring and the smallest main from the kit and just buy your self a 55 pilot jet get your shim and you will be all set. I got by with the BD needle at first but I did finally go to daves mods at the end. Well untill I bought a new mikuni flat slide from XRs only.

• martinfan30

Posted April 17, 2007 - 07:21 PM

adamsvh67, i also have the same mods and stock carb with djet kit. i also live at 4500 ft. use the 160 main in the djet kit. i tried the 165 that came in the kit first, but it was way too rich. i also drilled the slide. i do use a e2 series pipe and stock header. the bike runs phenom. well.i have not changed the stock pilot either. no need.

• Motosprtman

Posted April 18, 2007 - 04:39 AM

The DJ kit is not all that bad worked fine for me, I used the 160 main and their needle and spring, which means you do not have to drill the slide nor hunt for washers to place under the head of the needle that is done for you. The only bad thing is that you still need to install a bigger pilot (55). Remember to grind off the air fuel screw adjustment tab so you can adjust it out 2 1/4 turns from bottomed.

• Adamsvh67

Posted April 23, 2007 - 08:18 AM

Installed DJ kit this past weekend. Went with 52 pilot, 160 main, 2 1/2 turns out and 10 discs on supertrapp. Runs great. Much smoother, no mure lurching maintaining slow speeds. Still prolly a little tinkering to get just right, but seems a good starting spot. Hope to be able to have a long test ride this weekend thru the mountains. Let ya'll know how goes... Thanks for all the input
AV

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.