**Custom Build***Will a 93-00 CDI fit?

4 replies to this topic
  • gdavis2265

Posted April 14, 2007 - 05:00 AM

Hey guys,

I'm fitting a 1986 XR600 motor into a '91 CR rolling chassis.
My question is: Will a CDI box from a 93-00 XR600 work on the '86 motor?

Been searching hi and low, and can only seem to find the 93-00 CDI's

Thanks for any info.

Glenn Davis
gdavis2265@comcast.net

• Owyhee

Posted April 14, 2007 - 08:34 AM

Hey guys,

I'm fitting a 1986 XR600 motor into a '91 CR rolling chassis.
My question is: Will a CDI box from a 93-00 XR600 work on the '86 motor?

Been searching hi and low, and can only seem to find the 93-00 CDI's

Thanks for any info.

Glenn Davis
gdavis2265@comcast.net

I can't answer the CDI question but I'm very interested in the other aspects of your conversion, specifically how much cutting you have to do to the frame to make the motor fit.

"O"

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • gdavis2265

Posted April 14, 2007 - 12:43 PM

"...specifically how much cutting you have to do to the frame"

All of it! hahahaha

I actually cut out from midpoint of the plated portion of the headstock, the down tube and the bottom lower tubes all the way back to just under the pegs.

Fit the motor up with a jack and some straps and bent tubing for the bottom tubes and down tube. Plated the headstock back in and gussetted here and there to make it strong.

Fits rather nicely, its about 1-1/2" lower than the CR tubes were.

Now for the hard part!

I'm planning on making a fiberglass intake manifold to mount a single 40CV carb ---sorta sideways at 45°.
(was a dual carb, so I'm doing a two into one, custom style thingy)

The cab came from a Harley big twin. (The carb is rejetted and is currently on my KLR600, hope it will work on the XR600)

To make the manifold I'm building a wax mold and then covering it with glass, then hopefully melt the wax out. That's the plan anyways, we shall see how it works out.

A friend gave me a piece of fiberglass board, I'm going to glue the intake to this and bolt it to the engine. I think I might por15 the inside.

As far as the exhaust pipe is concerned, I'm cutting the pipe and rotating it a bit to fit on the other side of the bike, haven't done it yet, but it looks doable. (sp?) It's gonna look freeky, that's for sure.

Cheers,

Glenn

• Owyhee

Posted April 14, 2007 - 01:40 PM

Sounds like a wild project!

I'm sticking an XR200 motor in a CR500 frame. I'd originally planned on just adding new motor mounts to the 500 frame but the motor sat too high. Now I'm thinking to score an XR200 frame ($20, junkyard), cutting off the entire cradle and welding that cradle up to the CR frame.

My carb hits the back of the frame so I'm thinking to take the downtubes on the back of the frame and cutting off one of the curved sections and reversing it to make room for the carb.

Having a whole spare frame will also be good since I've never used a wire-feed before and that last time I welded was 10 years ago. I was pretty bad then too.

You should take some pics of your progress. It would make a nice thread.

"O"

• gdavis2265

Posted April 14, 2007 - 04:01 PM

Thanks Owyhee,

I'll try to snap some pics and post later.

I wish the breakers around here would sell me a frame for $20- They like to screw you in junk parts, ya know?

Good idea though, lower half of a frame, fit up and weld.

You'll love the wire feed, just like a squirt gun, pull the trigger.

I bought a nice TIG welder a few years back and can't seem to live without it, though my welds are nothing to write home about.

Sure do admire those perfect "stack of dimes" tig welds done by the pros.

I do love the wire feed for tack welding and fitting everything up.

Cheers,

Glenn Davis

Related Content

Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  148 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.