Please, Please HELP ME!!! My bikes apart!!!

8 replies to this topic
  • texashart

Posted April 13, 2007 - 11:18 AM

I tore down my bike to intsall the JD ket, fuel screw, new spring and AIS. Now I can't seem to figure out how to put the air cleaner back on and the shock. I can do one or the other, but I can't get my mind around how to get them both in there.

I'm so tired, I've been at this for hours!!! If anyone in the DFW area wants to earn $100.00 please let me know I don't think I'll be able to put this back together correctly.

Thanks in advance for your help, I'm going off to cry now...:thumbsup:

TexasHart

• SXP

Posted April 13, 2007 - 11:39 AM

I tore down my bike to intsall the JD ket, fuel screw, new spring and AIS. Now I can't seem to figure out how to put the air cleaner back on and the shock. I can do one or the other, but I can't get my mind around how to get them both in there.

I'm so tired, I've been at this for hours!!! If anyone in the DFW area wants to earn $100.00 please let me know I don't think I'll be able to put this back together correctly.

Thanks in advance for your help, I'm going off to cry now...:thumbsup:

TexasHart

Texas - Put the shock in place but don't bolt it up (don't even put the bolts in). This lets you move it to the side (right side) allowing you to pull down the subframe and give you just enough wiggle room to slip the boot over the carb bell. Once the boot is on and the the subframe loosely bolted, fasten the shock bolts. Been there, done that and learnt the hard way. Also, you do have the upper engine brackets removed, right? This gives you additional room to connect stuff, especially the hotstart cable.

• texashart

Posted April 13, 2007 - 12:33 PM

I had the engine mounts removed, they're back in now, made installing the JD needle MUCH easier. I still can't get the boot to attach to the carb!!! I can't figure out how to get enough pressue on it to get started. I can't believe this thing is completely KICKING MY ARSE!!!!!! The only way I've go the boot to go on is w/o the shock. W/ the shock in place it looks virtually impossible to me...

Thanks for the tip, I'm going back in, which me luck!!

• crf063

Posted April 13, 2007 - 01:47 PM

Lube the lip of the boot a little and use a screw driver to guide it on. I had the best luck guiding it on from the right hand side of the bike with someone pushing the sub frame down. Then a couple of bumps with my palm against the boot and bingo its on. I have done this at least 4 times on the new bike and all with the shock attached.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • TX-SANDMAN

Posted April 13, 2007 - 01:58 PM

Drive down I-45 about 150 miles and I am on the right in The Woodlands ... 60 miles north of Houston if you can not get it back together.

• texashart

Posted April 13, 2007 - 03:08 PM

I burned my WR to the ground, I'm tired of dealing with it... :thumbsup:

JUST KIDDING!! Having the shock loose in the there made ALL the difference in the world! I put everything back together as best I could, I'm waiting on the TT Store to send me my AIS kit...

Could you guys, who have been :worthy: AWESOME :ride: , by the way, give me a run down of what to check/re-check before I fire her up?

I took off the float bowl about 8 times because I kept losing the o-ring and/or washer. I'm pretty sure everything's right, but would REALLY appreciate a list from someone who isn't currently brain dead and dead a$$ tired. 4 hours last night and 5 today, its official, I SUCK!

Thanks everyone!

TexasHart

• Fryboy

Posted April 14, 2007 - 11:56 AM

Keep at it Texashart :worthy:

Some of us :thumbsup: have been there before too. I always tear my bike down with a bit of a beer buzz, leaving my crap on the garage floor for a few days, even weeks, then get back to putting it together to find out I don't remember how it goes back together : )

The carb hoses are the worst especially if you have them t'd off to your airbox for water crossings. Looking at them for an hour can make a man feel :ride:

If we were smarter, we'd probably take digi shots of each step and then look at them in reverse to put back together. Ehhh I guess we like it the hard way better.

• texashart

Posted April 14, 2007 - 12:23 PM

I couldn't stand waiting for the TT AIS kit, so I re-installed the stock AIS stuff, put everything back together and prayed she'd start. She fired right up in about 15 seconds and purred like a kitten. Did a quick test loop in the neighborhood and WOW!!!!!!!

The throttle response is INSTANT:eek: . For a run-down I removed the restrictor in the pea shooter, installed the JD needle red #4, JD 165 and ZypTye Fuel screw 2 turns out.

I left the throttle stop in for now, but after my test ride it may stay in there all summer. :worthy:

I love THUMPERTALK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup:

My hands look like I've been attacked by cats and my legs and back hurt like I did 400 sqauts, wait, I DID do 400 squats. Thanks to everyone for the help and encouragement.

PS The Race-Tech shock makes ALL the difference in the WORLD. I still eat like an athlete w/o working out and @ 265Lbs, the 6.4kg shock makes this bike perfect for me!

• FastRides

Posted April 14, 2007 - 03:28 PM

Thanks for leading the charge on this one for the rest of us newbie's who will benefit from your pain (in theory anyway) when it's our turn with the JD kit...
If it's ragin' now, you won't believe what happens when you cut the throttle screw- you get about another 1/2 turn! :thumbsup:

MG

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.