Aluminum Frame and steering stabilizer installation

5 replies to this topic
  • xrmarty

Posted April 13, 2007 - 11:08 AM

First off, I just got the 07 WR (first year aluminum frame) and there isn't a whole lot of information on it yet. Since you guys have had the AF for a while now, I decided to check out your neck of the woods for some helpful info.

If you have a scotts stabilizer, did you have to modify the steering stops located on the lower tripple clamp, or did you modify anything on the frame?

Reducing the turning radius was necessary on my old XR400 to prevent breaking the stabilizer. I'm wondering if I'll have to do the same on my Yami.

It was kind of a pain in the neck on the old xr. I had to tap a screw into the stops on the tripple clamp. At the time that seemed to me like a really weak solution, so in stead I ended up extending the stops on the frame by welding on little brackets.

I'm hoping it'll be much easier on the wr.

Any info will be greatly appreciated

Marty

• SXP

Posted April 13, 2007 - 12:07 PM

First off, I just got the 07 WR (first year aluminum frame) and there isn't a whole lot of information on it yet. Since you guys have had the AF for a while now, I decided to check out your neck of the woods for some helpful info.

If you have a scotts stabilizer, did you have to modify the steering stops located on the lower tripple clamp, or did you modify anything on the frame?

Reducing the turning radius was necessary on my old XR400 to prevent breaking the stabilizer. I'm wondering if I'll have to do the same on my Yami.

It was kind of a pain in the neck on the old xr. I had to tap a screw into the stops on the tripple clamp. At the time that seemed to me like a really weak solution, so in stead I ended up extending the stops on the frame by welding on little brackets.

I'm hoping it'll be much easier on the wr.

Any info will be greatly appreciated

Marty

I just installed the Scotts/BRP submount system on my 07 WR last night. It's a very clean installation with none of the issues you mentioned above. The only thing I had to do was move the clutch perch to the right about 1/2 inch as the bars are raised 1" and the clutch cable was kinda tight at full lock. I'll take pics tonight and post them.

• xrmarty

Posted April 13, 2007 - 12:13 PM

^^^^^pictures would be great... thanks

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • probracing1

Posted April 13, 2007 - 12:35 PM

Marty,

On my 06 YZ450 it was clean an easy installation for the Scotts stabilizer. No adjustments required.

You may want to post on the WR forum to get a more specific reply to your question.

• SXP

Posted April 13, 2007 - 05:38 PM

^^^^^pictures would be great... thanks

Pics posted on the WR side.

• dwnlowx

Posted April 14, 2007 - 10:15 AM

it should all bolt right on and there is no special mods needed as long as you have a bolt on neck mount

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.