Street legal 450WR? Where can it be done?

13 replies to this topic
  • cujet

Posted April 13, 2007 - 11:08 AM

I want to purchase a new WR rather than a street legal KTM or Husky. I have done the Husky thing and I would prefer a more common bike for obvious reasons.

In any case, I'm in FL and it is now impossible for me to register any dirt bike here. In the past I could pull it off, but no more. I do not mind traveling a bit to do the street legal thing.

Has anyone here had any luck with this? If so, where? What dealer?

Thanks!!

Chris

• djv5

Posted April 13, 2007 - 11:25 AM

Michigan is an easy state to convert to street legal. I did my WR with a hydraulic inline brake switch, license plate holder, and DOT tires. There are a lot of street-legal WR's here in Michigan.

Also, check out www.bike-line.com for cheap insurance. Michigan requires licensed vehicles to carry insurance. $50 per year was my policy cost.

• Humunn

Posted April 13, 2007 - 09:25 PM

I've got one in Oregon!

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted April 13, 2007 - 11:02 PM

I want to purchase a new WRather than a street legal KTM or Husky. I have done the Husky thing and I would prefer a more common bike for obvious reasons.

In any case, I'm in FL and it is now impossible for me to register any dirt bike here. In the past I could pull it off, but no more. I do not mind traveling a bit to do the street legal thing.

Has anyone here had any luck with this? If so, where? What dealer?

Thanks!!

Chris

What's wrong with KTM's and Husky's. KTM's are legit bikes and the big 4 is not the big 5 because of them.

Those new husky's are solid, solid, solid. I love my WR, but there's nothing wrong with the Husky's.

• cujet

Posted April 14, 2007 - 04:36 AM

I currently have a Husky. Nothing wrong with it at all. I like it very much. In fact, I would purchase another if there were a Husky dealer somewhere in my state (FL) But as I live in South Florida, the nearest dealer is too many miles.

Chris

• specialk6r

Posted April 14, 2007 - 10:01 AM

I currently have a Husky. Nothing wrong with it at all. I like it very much. In fact, I would purchase another if there were a Husky dealer somewhere in my state (FL) But as I live in South Florida, the nearest dealer is too many miles.

Chris

I think that statement is one of the "obvious reasons" he wants a "more common bike." There's just not enough Husky dealers. It's nice when there are several dealers nearby that can get you parts so you don't have to do everything online. And in the past KTM has gained a bit of a reputation of being shiesty with getting parts to the US. I know they're getting better, but it's still something to consider. That said, if the EXC's had the track record for reliability that WR's have, I'd be the first in line. That hydro clutch is pretty dreamy at the end of a long day.

• arizonachef

Posted April 14, 2007 - 10:42 AM

i did mine in arizona

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Michigan DS

Posted April 14, 2007 - 12:23 PM

Chris,

I am considering the same option. Speaking to the local dealer, he said the conversion is quite simple. The link below is to a company called Baja designs. Looks like they are in the business of converting dirt bikes into street legal machines. Cost- $439.00
Good Luck,
Doug

https://www.bajadesi...2.aspx?content=

• ez__rider

Posted April 14, 2007 - 05:22 PM

Chris,

I am considering the same option. Speaking to the local dealer, he said the conversion is quite simple. The link below is to a company called Baja designs. Looks like they are in the business of converting dirt bikes into street legal machines. Cost- $439.00
Good Luck,
Doug

https://www.bajadesi...2.aspx?content=

as far as that kit, the turn signals stick out kinda harshly, so :thumbsup: . since turn signals aren't required, you can also just do the necessities.

the parts you really need are about $125-ish. such as: high beam headlight wiring, brake light switch and wiring, a mirror, plate mounting bracket. you have a few options for a horn, cheapest is a bicycle horn!

this is for my wr450 at least that already has a double filament headlight and tailight is ready for it.

• Express

Posted April 14, 2007 - 06:04 PM

wasnt too bad of a process here in Pa.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted April 14, 2007 - 10:58 PM

I understand about the Husky's. However, I ride/wreck my wr450 all the time. So about once a month, I am there at the biggest yamaha dealership in LA trying to get some replacement parts. Most of the time, its simple stuff like plastics, bolts, etc... No hard parts or engine parts every break despite my attempts.

The point is... the Yamaha dealerships have nothing and everything is always special order and I have to wait a few days to get it sent to my house. They didn't even have a battery or the tail light bulb and I had to wait for them. So now I just order online.

What's the difference between a yamaha dealer and a Husky dealer if everything is special order.

I'm not trying to talk you into a Husky, but I wouldn't let parts availability stop you. I have two friends with Husky's and they get their parts shipped to them faster than I do.

Just my two cents...

• specialk6r

Posted April 15, 2007 - 08:20 AM

The point is... the Yamaha dealerships have nothing and everything is always special order and I have to wait a few days to get it sent to my house. They didn't even have a battery or the tail light bulb and I had to wait for them. So now I just order online.

Good point. Most dealerships are completely worthless. The one by me never even has oil filters for my streetbike, and it happens to be the same filter that half the bikes they sell use. I thought it might just be the ones by me. Sorry to hear that none of them stock even basic, common parts.

• baha

Posted April 15, 2007 - 08:59 AM

Have a California one, look in the Garage!

• cujet

Posted April 15, 2007 - 02:58 PM

I like the wealth of knowledge and aftermarket parts availablity of the more common bikes. I also like the fact that there is some "dealer consideration" when your new bike blows up on the very first ride. I happen to like my local Yamaha dealership too.

Baja Designs is just fine, but that is not the issue. The problem is the paperwork. Florida DMV is impossible. Yes a chopper is OK, but a dirt bike, NO WAY!

Now, if I were to call it a CHOPPER????? Slash cut off the muffler with a Hacksaw, polish the frame, extend the forks, remove the rear shock, a 320mm rear tire, etc! Could be done, and undone fairly easily!

OK, are there dealers that will do this for you? If so, who? Thanks!

Chris

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.