Opening up the airbox for Motard wr450

4 replies to this topic
  • two

Posted April 13, 2007 - 11:04 AM

What are you guys doing to open up the airbox with that big ass battery in the way (without removing the battery smartass, before you say it). On my wr426 it was easy w' no battery. Set up as a supermoto so water and dirt aren't a problem. I'm going to get a K&N for it to start. Any experience?

• ZEHR

Posted April 13, 2007 - 12:26 PM

what i have done is on the right hand side take the airbox cover panel off and you will see the airbox and there should be a outline of what to cut i think it's a square at the top then a triangle on the bottom. I've cut out both but can't say if it has made a big difference because I live in canada and we still have snow. hope this helped

ps, if your not going to take the airbox off to cut, don't use a hack saw blade, or jig saw. get a heat gun and a razor blade, heat the plastic then cut works good!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • two

Posted April 13, 2007 - 01:29 PM

what i have done is on the right hand side take the airbox cover panel off and you will see the airbox and there should be a outline of what to cut i think it's a square at the top then a triangle on the bottom. I've cut out both but can't say if it has made a big difference because I live in canada and we still have snow. hope this helped

ps, if your not going to take the airbox off to cut, don't use a hack saw blade, or jig saw. get a heat gun and a razor blade, heat the plastic then cut works good!

Thanks, I'll take a look. Some of the dirttrackers run a K&N pod, wonder how that is to get dialed in?

• Farmerboy

Posted April 15, 2007 - 11:31 AM

yeah same here, remove right panel and cut as descibed above, Also get a large pair of grippers and pull out the snorkel that sfitted into the top of the airbox behind the battery, its black plastic and divided in two but comes out in one piece

• two

Posted April 15, 2007 - 12:19 PM

yeah same here, remove right panel and cut as descibed above, Also get a large pair of grippers and pull out the snorkel that sfitted into the top of the airbox behind the battery, its black plastic and divided in two but comes out in one piece

I did pull that out already. I'll def cut those pieces out though.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.