Chain & Sprocket, 450F

11 replies to this topic
  • Super Dude

Posted April 13, 2007 - 08:51 AM

I need a new chain and sprockets. The stock chain is stretching after every ride. I have a 04 yz450f. I have heard the D.I.D chain is the way to go.
But which one for my bike. As i look at this catalog it has 420,428,and 520 after the name of the chain. What does this mean? Then there is different link sizes 130,120, and 132. What link size do i need? Is there a noticeable difference between x,o, and reg chain? What Sprockets should i get?
Also i want more top speed from my bike does that mean i go up a tooth in the rear?

Sorry for so many ?'s
Thanks,
SD

• torqueme

Posted April 13, 2007 - 09:42 AM

Your bike uses a 520 chain. This # designates the "size" of the chain links. As far as length of the chain 120 is usually sufficient depending on the size sprockets you are using. Invest in a chain breaker available at most bike shops for under $20, & cut it to fit your application. x & o ring chains differ from reg chains only in the fact that they seal the pins from the elements and last a little longer. Trade off is a little extra weight. For more top end-lessen the # of teeth on rear sprocket or add to the front.

• grayracer513

Posted April 13, 2007 - 09:47 AM

I personally prefer the Regina ORN-6 O-ring chain. It looks like I may have to replace the one on my '03 before much longer. It's over two years old.

The numbers (i.e. 520, 428) are the size of the chain in both width and in "pitch", the length between pins. You need a 520. Stock sprockets on your bike will need a 114 link chain.

I always buy 120's and cut them to fit.

• Super Dude

Posted April 13, 2007 - 10:08 AM

I went to d.i.d website and the said to use a 520ert2 with 112 links. Does this sound right? It also said my bike has a 14 tooth front and a 47 rear sprocket, Does this sound right?

My bike is used for the desert and trails. Man do i need a 5th gear.

• Super Dude

Posted April 13, 2007 - 10:17 AM

Another ?
How do i know what size to make the chain if i start to mess with sprockets?

• Super Dude

Posted April 13, 2007 - 10:19 AM

Your bike uses a 520 chain. This # designates the "size" of the chain links. As far as length of the chain 120 is usually sufficient depending on the size sprockets you are using. Invest in a chain breaker available at most bike shops for under $20, & cut it to fit your application. x & o ring chains differ from reg chains only in the fact that they seal the pins from the elements and last a little longer. Trade off is a little extra weight. For more top end-lessen the # of teeth on rear sprocket or add to the front.

So a smaller rear sprocket will drop the rpms a bit when im trying to cruz in
4th gear? And will allow me to go faster in (mph)in 4th?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted April 13, 2007 - 10:23 AM

The correct length is 114.

• torqueme

Posted April 14, 2007 - 12:38 AM

So a smaller rear sprocket will drop the rpms a bit when im trying to cruz in
4th gear? And will allow me to go faster in (mph)in 4th?

Yes to both questions...the trade off is less bottom end.

• Super Dude

Posted April 14, 2007 - 05:14 AM

Yes to both questions...the trade off is less bottom end.

tanks for the info guys!

SD

• Ga426owner

Posted April 14, 2007 - 01:46 PM

be safe order a 120 link and cut it yourself......DID ERT2 is great non oring chain ...... pair it up with Ironman sprockets and you will be very happy with extended wear :thumbsup:

• buzzgrizz

Posted April 14, 2007 - 02:26 PM

I personally prefer the Regina ORN-6 O-ring chain. It looks like I may have to replace the one on my '03 before much longer. It's over two years old.

The numbers (i.e. 520, 428) are the size of the chain in both width and in "pitch", the length between pins. You need a 520. Stock sprockets on your bike will need a 114 link chain.

I always buy 120's and cut them to fit.

Second the Regina. It is a very durable chain.

• Thesolidman1

Posted April 15, 2007 - 05:47 AM

After replacing my last chain with a DID x-ring, I will never, ever buy a non o-ring (or x-ring) chain again. They last about 6 times longer, and the maintaince is almost non-existant. Also, the sprockets last longer as well, since the chain stretch is minimal.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.