Battery questions...

14 replies to this topic
  • MartinDKtm

Posted April 13, 2007 - 06:05 AM

OK, I must change the battery on my 650L. It has wiseco hi-comp piston and a hot cam in it...Im looking for a battery that has more cold starting amp than the oem one. The oem is a YTX9-BS. I looked for an odyssey battery and the one that fit there is the PC310 that has 310 amp cold. Does someone know the rating of the YTX9-BS? Is the Odyssey more powerful?

MArtin

• XR650L_Dave

Posted April 13, 2007 - 08:01 AM

The OEM should have plenty of oomph, even with 10 or 10.5:1 and no auto-decomp.

Dave

• mgs781

Posted April 13, 2007 - 07:06 PM

OK, I must change the battery on my 650L. It has wiseco hi-comp piston and a hot cam in it...Im looking for a battery that has more cold starting amp than the oem one. The oem is a YTX9-BS. I looked for an odyssey battery and the one that fit there is the PC310 that has 310 amp cold. Does someone know the rating of the YTX9-BS? Is the Odyssey more powerful?

MArtin

You don't need a stronger battery, I have the same motor and haven't had a problem in over two years.

For my own benefit, why do you think you need more battery?

MGS

• xrltim

Posted April 14, 2007 - 02:39 PM

I have the same piston you do and my bike starts practically instantly when warm, maybe cranks for a full second when cold. Stick with the OEM battery, Sears has them for about $40, then make sure your carburation is right. You'll have no problems even if you sink it in water and have to crank for a while. (I speak from :thumbsup: experience)

• MartinDKtm

Posted April 16, 2007 - 05:55 AM

Cause in fall or spring I do ride the bike at 0 to -5 degree celsius and it does take some juice...But maybe its just that I was used to the not so good no more battery that was inside it. I may try an oem replacement.

Thanks

Martin

• xr650l bum

Posted April 16, 2007 - 07:04 AM

Martin, when you did you battery relocation did you use the oem battery, or switch to the crf battery?

• oldchvytrx

Posted April 16, 2007 - 07:14 AM

I have the same piston you do and my bike starts practically instantly when warm, maybe cranks for a full second when cold. Stick with the OEM battery, Sears has them for about $40, then make sure your carburation is right. You'll have no problems even if you sink it in water and have to crank for a while. (I speak from :thumbsup: experience)

<<<<<<<>>>>>>>
Yup,
Fine scooter but a lousy submarine..:worthy: I too know from experience:prof:
:ride: :ride: :p

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MartinDKtm

Posted April 16, 2007 - 10:51 AM

Xr650l bum, I did not relocate the battery yet. I will increase oil capacity/cooling first. I will check tonight and if the Odyssey is not overly expensive I may buy it instead of oem. Its smaller and if I relocate it its gonna be easyer.

Martin

• xr650l bum

Posted April 16, 2007 - 01:45 PM

Xr650l bum, I did not relocate the battery yet. I will increase oil capacity/cooling first. I will check tonight and if the Odyssey is not overly expensive I may buy it instead of oem. Its smaller and if I relocate it its gonna be easyer.

Martin

Sorry! I got you mixed up with Martinfan30. What is this odyssey you are talking about, and where can you get it? Model #?

• MartinDKtm

Posted April 17, 2007 - 03:10 AM

Xr650l here's the link: http://www.odysseybatteries.com/ And the model that fit us is the PC310. But I found yesterday that the dealer in town is asking wayyyyy tooooo much for them compare to an oem one. Oem is around 50-80$ and he wants 189$ for the odyssey (Canadian $$). I will make some search on the net to see cause im sure I will find a better price fo it.

Martin

• Denn10

Posted April 17, 2007 - 08:14 AM

NOT to cross thread this but what kind of difference do you guys see from stock piston and cam to the upgrades that you all say you have here? Im thinking about doing something like this to my L

• mgs781

Posted April 17, 2007 - 09:26 AM

NOT to cross thread this but what kind of difference do you guys see from stock piston and cam to the upgrades that you all say you have here? Im thinking about doing something like this to my L

Night and Day!

MGS

• LeadDoggy

Posted April 17, 2007 - 11:19 AM

Does someone know the rating of the YTX9-BS?
Is the Odyssey more powerful?

Looks like 120CCA
check out battery=224' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>http://www.motorcycl...asp?battery=224

• martinfan30

Posted April 17, 2007 - 06:39 PM

xr650l bum, i kept the stock battery. it fits very well using the stock holddown. just straighten the holddown and you can make it fit nice in the airbox. i cant beleive more pig ryders arent doing this mod! it is so easy, fits good and it feels lighter!

• xr650l bum

Posted April 17, 2007 - 07:15 PM

xr650l bum, i kept the stock battery. it fits very well using the stock holddown. just straighten the holddown and you can make it fit nice in the airbox. i cant beleive more pig ryders arent doing this mod! it is so easy, fits good and it feels lighter!

I am not looking to relocate. I like the airbox the way it is. I would just like to go to a smaller, lighter battery. Maybe make room in battery box to carry misc crap!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.